1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

material for sculpture

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by dmitrygor, Mar 31, 2011.

1. dmitrygor

dmitrygor Dmitry Gorodetsky. Moose antler carving studio

Dear friends,

could you please share your experience of using modern materials to make sculptures.
    I make little size forms from wood, tusk etc
    And now want to try my hand at modern materials.

I would be very grateful for your recommendations!:)
    Dmitry

2. dougp

dougp Active Member

Dmitry, you're work is beautiful!! I'm bringing this to the top in hope that some of these talented artists on here may be able to supply some info you're looking for.

With my limited experience in sculpting, I would offer the idea of using one of the many available 2 part epoxies such as Apoxie Sculpt over your armature. I see you begin with wire for your armature. I've used aluminum foil over that to rough out the form before sculpting with the epoxy.
    After the epoxy is sculpted to satisfaction, it can then be carved either by hand or power carving to finish.

I hope others will chime in.....

Maybe you could elaborate on what you would like to know.

Take a look at the terrific work Dmitry does on his website....Superb!!

DougP

3. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Dmitry,
    I agree, your carvings are beautiful. You have a few choices. You can use a non hardening plastiline clay like Kleen Klay or any of the others to do you sculpture. Then you will then have to make a silicone mold off the clay.Then you can make multiple parts from that mold. If you want to do pieces that are one of a kind you could use what Doug suggested (Apoxie Sculpt) however you only have 1/2-1hr of working time before it sets up. There is a product called Sculpy that works like Kleen Klay. You have all the time you want to refine the piece and then bake the product in an oven and it gets hard. You can paint it afterwards with any type of paint.

4. dmitrygor

Dougp, Fishmaster,

thanks a lot for your advice!!!

I often use epoxies for making some parts of a sculpture, I think though if to make the whole of it it'd be a bit too heavy...
    While waiting for the replies here I found smth like Sculpy you mention about, Cernit, tried baking a small piece, didn't quite like the result but I think I should try again and see if the same effect or nearly the same effect as when carving wood can be achieved.

Thanks for the suggestion of making a silicone mold off the clay, I've thought of that long enough, but what material would you suggest for it?

Thanks a lot for sharing really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. dougp

dougp Active Member

Dmitry,

Have you tried or would you consider a high density foam for a carving and possibly making a mold of that? There are some great HD foams that are super dense and very light weight. Although, not that inexpensive.

Just a thought............

DougP

6. kinetic

kinetic New Member

I think that having your carvings made out of natural materials like antlers and ivory adds something special to your carvings.

But if you'd like to try your hand at new materials, you could try Super Sculpey, which you build over an armature and bake. You can add or subtract from the baked piece and re-bake them, and sand or carve it after it's baked. Then you could mold it with silicone and cast duplicates if you wanted, and with the right colored resin and paint job the casts can look just like real bone or antler. There are some great tutorials here on casting sculptures: http://www.smooth-on.com/Sculpture-and-Art-/c1239/index.html

You can make sculptures out of oil based clay and cast them too. They're more economical when making larger scaled sculptures than Sculpey.

Since you like carving, you could try stone or plaster. They're not modern materials but certainly something to try.

Like DougP says, you could carve foam too. Really there are so many ways to make sculptures nowadays... you can even have things 3D printed. Just think of what you would like to make, and what material would suit it best :)

7. WOW...your stuff is amazing...truely beautiful work!

have you ever tried soap stone...I never have actually tried it but it looks very fun.

8. dmitrygor

Dear friends,

thanks a lot for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I started working with Cernit and find it rather good.
    I will post then the pictures when the works are ready:)