1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Torn Whitetail deer ear

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by AR Hunter, Mar 31, 2011.

1. AR Hunter

AR Hunter New Member

I am new on the form so hi everybody. I am prepping a deer cape and the one ear has a tear. It starts about 3/4 out on the lower edge of the ear. The skin is healed shut on either side of the tear so to fix the tear I would have to cut it the seam open. Does anybody have any tips on how to do this in an effective way??

2. I wouldn't repair split. I would just mount the ear with the tear in it. That's part of the character of the mount. Just trim the liner to fit, assuming you're using liners that is.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you remove the cartilage it will likely rip open, not really a big deal. I would sew each side or as others have said let the glue hold it. I would definitely mount the deer with a split ear though. Or at least ask the customer what they prefer. I'll probably take some heat for the last statement, but it is their trophy. They may or may not have noticed it. If they did and you fix it they might think you screwed up and gave them somebody else's cape, or vice verse. Take care, 3bears

4. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

If you use liners you can purposely blow out the ear and insert liner and cut out excess liner where it is vi sable and glue edges shut. the V will show. easy fix.