1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Boxing Up Mounts

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Mar 31, 2011.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

Curious to see how some of you guys package your fish mounts for shipping. Attached to side of crate/box, bubble wrap, ect.

2. den007

den007 Active Member

Best way I have seen is how Lake Country Replicas sends their ready to paint fish.....enveloped in a cocoon of foam. The equipment ;for this type of packaging is expensive, but I am told U-line.....a company that sells shipping materials has small foam packets that can be used in a similar fashion. I have even pondered using the canned foam in hardware sotres to do the same on my own. Of course the fish is protected with a layer of clear plastic between it and the foam. Try it.......fill the bottom of the box with the foam, let it begin to set up a bit......while still soft, cover with plastic film and press your fish down into it. Once the cocoon is made, styrofoam peanuts or even paper can go over this to secure it in its "bed."

I have tried many, many other ways and shippers will invariably figure out some way to break a fragile replica.

3. curtisholson

curtisholson New Member

4. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,35737.0.html

5. One of the last fish I shipped (Muskie) was crated just the same as Advanced Taxidermy does and it didn't work out very well for me. By the time it arrived to my customer crate was broken badly and most all fins as well.

Today I shipped a couple of my plaster life cast's (very fragile) and used the Instapak foam packages available from Uline and although pretty expensive really did a nice job.

6. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

Thanks for all the tips. I think I can work with that. ;)

7. When I ship I have cut a plywood base for the box and build a 1x2 frame.
    I attach the fish firmly via the hanger and support the fish with foam glued to the plywood.
    I then build the box by stapling cardboard to the frame.
    I fill with peanuts and seal the box.

Sturdy and custom sized.

8. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

Thanks, I'm kinda thinking along that line. A neighbor has piles of 1x2 stuff we use for building fish beds. I was thinking about a plywood floor with the hanger block screwed in and foam or bubble wrap under the head and tail and thin construct a frame that attaches to the plywood and fits the inside of my double wall boxes I have.
    Filled with peanuts of course.