1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting deer ears

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by redwolf, Apr 1, 2011.

1. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I had a guy bring me his sons first deer. I got it done and when they came to pick it up the kid (18 years old) loved it. The father looks at it and say's "Bob, I noticed the ears are pink. My taxidermist doesn't do that". I explained to him that I use live deer for reference and the ears are pink/fleshy colored. Hey say's "Oh".
    I've never had anyone mention anything about it before. Then I had another guy come in with a deer he wants mounted. He say's "I don't want the ears painted".
    Anyone else ever get anything like that? This is a first (and second :D) for me.

2. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

not yet..but...have had a couple different people that must think black bears spend their entire lives walking through the woods with a pissed off snarled look on their face growling the whole time...then again i think these might be the same fellas that see a couple mountain lions around here every year...hmmm wierd

3. Paul C

Paul C New Member

How "pink" are you painting them Bob? And do they look "painted"? I've seen some pretty Godawful paint jobs on deer ears that were no where near close to ANY reference pic. Are you cleaning all the paint off the hair so that the ear doesn't look painted? A properly painted ANYTHING should leave the viewer with the impression it was never painted at all.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I don't "paint" them so to say. I just give them a misting to tone them. Most people love them, but I guess some don't. I'm thinking these 2 customers are friends, but not sure.

5. Outback 33

Outback 33 U.S.A.

I have had two people ask about ear color making sure I didn't use pink at all.
    I just mist with white to lighten up a little.

6. I have had people question the nodules on a deer nose before ??? I no longer paint the ears on my deer, I do however tint the hide paste lightly with red tempra powder paint.

7. Steven .B

Steven .B New Member

I had a few guys in my shop with certain request on things. I guess as long as they are happy that what counts!! ;)

8. my customers love the detail of my ears i mix a off white and and two drops of flesh tone and its perfect

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I paint the ears, but they don't see it. The ears should not stick out, like using just white or flesh will do. Toned down to blend in with the rest of the mount is the goal.

10. I agree with Paul,should never look painted,blend colors,clean hairs,restore the hair patterns. finishing seminar in New-England???

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Like I said, I don't over paint. When I do mine I do a light mist of flesh tone and then tone down with brown if need be.
    These guy's just want a "dead" look to them. I think it's because the kids father's taxidermist didn't paint any of the ears of his mounts. But it's what they want, so it's what they'll get.
    It's one thing less for me to do. :D

12. a7d1

a7d1 New Member

All deer ears are a bit different from the next. I actually make special note of the ear colors on the customer contract in front of the customer for the very reason Bob ran across. In years past the same thing had happened and there's absolutely no way you will convince the customer that they are wrong, so don't bother trying. Another taxi I know told me many years ago....reference everything from the actual animal brought in and document document document. Digital cameras work great for keeping files to show the customer when there is a question. I did this last year with a guy because the animal had very dark blotches in the ears , so when he questioned the finished piece I showed him the photos and the debate was over. I snap a shot of the inner ears, the antler position with measuring tape next to it, angle of antlers, any noticeable scarring etc. If I remember I try to get a shot of the customer holding the head in front of himself so that both are visible in the photo, I do this because I have had people come in and claim that it wasn't his deer, that the antlers were too small to be his , yada , yada and so on. I really don't believe that Joe public has any clue to the fine details of the animal.

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Good idea a7d1.

14. I have had 1 guy ask for me not to add pink to the ears.

15. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

I please myself, customers can like it or not,LOL ;D

16. Kevin AL

Kevin AL New Member

That bad thing I've found about using pink (flesh tones or any other hue) is lighting. My shop lighting seems to be fine for the color when applied properly. But that doesn't matter. It's the lighting in your customer's house that matters. Intense lights make the pink look like it glow's in the dark so to speak. I've had a couple of guys bring me mounts that others have done for them in the past to repaint the ears because of this. When you expose the ears to intense light at certain angles the only color you see is the pink. I've changed the lights in my shop to intense lighting. It helps me see what the customer sees when they get the mount home. I use a pure white. And I do like Redwolf and just mist them to leave plenty of contrast and shaddow. Seems to work fine and the customers seem to like it. I haven't had any complaints.

17. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Lots of guys blast the ears, eyes, throat patch, and muzzle with WHITE, then trim out the ears in black. I don't like it at all. I clean the ears with thinner, and use Mars red that is very thinned. Once the hair is dry and brushed, there is no obvious paint job.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I'd never use just flesh, or just white. Never. Flesh with a shot of black or brown on top and rub it out with a paper towel, comb the rest out with a tooth brush. I want the ear to be silent and un noticable, the head should all look soft everywhere, no jet black eye rings or nose, and flesh or white just sticks out like bad ears.

19. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I basically do the same. But I add a drop of gill red to my flesh tone and mist the ears. Then I mist trans brown over the edges to blend. Brush when done and they seem to look fine to the rest of my customers.

I may try the Mars red though. I'm always willing to try something new and never too old to learn :D

20. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Adding Gill Red to Natural Flesh produces a VERY "pink" color and that may be what they are noticing. Instead of Gill Red try adding, as Mr. T suggested, a drop or two of Ivory White to "soften" the fleshy look. Again......if an untrained observer can tell your deer ears are painted they are painted WRONG.