1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wild boar skin

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by dbrookhart, Apr 2, 2011.

1. dbrookhart

dbrookhart New Member

I have my first lifesize boar to mount. I have done several schoulder mounts by fleshing down to the hairline, then degreaing, then washing well, then tumbling, then dry tanning with McKenzie dry tan. Never saw a problem with these. But with a lifesize mount with the hoofs attached and more body skin, I am wondering whether a comercial wet tan would be better. Also am considering just pickling the skin to help draw out mayerial from the hoofs, then neutralizing, then mounting. What do you all think?

2. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

comercial wet tan would be better

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    A commercial dry tan would be the best choice. Boar are far too greasy to allow the skin to not go through all the tanning steps to produce a good, durable leather. Even after soaking up the skin, there will be no greasiness to the hide, as usually remains with a wet tan. This is the same for Bears, Raccoons, all fatty, greasy mammals. Good luck to you!

John.

4. AJH

AJH Member

Definitely a professional tan. I just finished a boar that was professionally wet tanned. I kept the extra piece of hide that I trimmed off the back board. As it dried, the areas that were not thinned correctly were starting to bead up with grease. These are greasy creatures!!

5. dbrookhart

dbrookhart New Member

So all of you are saying a dry tan is the best, even though you have to resoak. Do you loose inches on the belly area with the dry tan resoaked?

6. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

I`ve used both metheds, dry tan and home tan. If you are comfortable with tanning your self then go that route. here is a pic of the one I tanned myself.

Attached Files: