1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what deer do these antlers belong to?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by meropespaniel, Apr 3, 2011.

1. This may be a HUGE beginner question, but I'm looking for some expert opinions...

I was given a few sets of deer antler sheds/skulls when a graduate student at the school I go to was clearing out his studio before he graduated. He told me that they were given to him by his father and didn't know what type of deer they came from.

Now, most of them are clearly whitetail, but there is one set on a skullplate that has me baffled. It just doesn't look like the others; it doesn't have brow tines, forks differently from the others, and doesn't have as wide of a spread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last two pics are comparing it to a whitetail shed I have... so, can anyone give me a good idea as to what type of deer these antlers came from?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Mule deer.

3. Look like mule deer to me.

4. muley

5. Could they be Blacktail ?

6. See, I was debating between whether they could be mule or blacktail... I've looked up some pictures of both, and one of the differences I saw was that mulies didn't have brow tines and blacktails tended to. I can't go off photos alone (you all have probably seen more antlers in a year than I will in a lifetime!)... but at the same time I saw quite a few blacktails with no brow tine.

Regardless, it's pretty neat that I have them :)

7. swin10

swin10 Member

Could be blacktail, here is a picture of one of mine.

Don

Attached Files:

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

We are only guessers here, if you have the hair tested, you will then know what they are.

9. Well, guessing is always fun... :)

The skull plate still has hair on it; if it's not too much effort I might send some of it off to be sure. I'm content knowing it's not whitetail (which is pretty cool for a Pennsylvania kid)!