1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Iowa Show Pics...

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by zubba, Apr 4, 2011.

1. zubba

zubba Active Member

A lot of nice work at the Iowa show. I know I missed a lot, but here is some of the pieces there. If anyone wants to add to this, feel free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Some nice work there.

Who did the pygmy rattler? ;D

3. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Nice pics for sure. Does your show allow a "purchased" fish blank in Professional or does it have to be molded by the competitor? Thanks for posting...........

4. wildwings

wildwings New Member

Im not positive but pretty sure that Pro can be bought and master must be casted by you.

5. Brian W

The first three fish look to be repros and I'm gonna guess purchased blanks. Michigan, to date, hasnt allowed purchased blanks in the Pro division, just recently in a newly created Commercial division. I think that's gonna change and really, why not. I see it allowed in almost every other show I've seen.........thanks.

6. wildwings

wildwings New Member

Here's my take on the reproduction issue. I think the professional should be allowed to buy a blank. Even a great commercial bought blank normally needs a little clean up prep before painting it. Master however I think needs to be 100% the competitors work. As for the 3 reproductions I know the one was done by the artist because I asked him. The other 2 I am guessing are commercially bought.

7. Brian W

TOTALLY agree and as some of the Michigan guys know, something I've asked for for years (is tabled at least now). I heard a comment years ago that its just a paint job! Not in my book.
    Granted, there are some high end blanks that require less prep. but I have finished blanks you had to cut out for the open gills (did this on 30 inch Walleye blank) then finish that entire inside area. Or finishing the inside of a mouth including every single tooth. Then you factor in some blanks you have to grind seams, and really put some time into getting the fins dremeled properly and fit to the body to appear seamless. Set eyes, etc, and THEN try to pull off a realistic looking reproduction fish. Not just a paint job....which I'm sure the guys that have done them will concur.

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I like the rule allowing Pro to use a purchased blank. I think there is a TON of work involved in getting most commercial blanks prepped for a competition. It is WAY more than just a paint job IMO. After the competitor is proficient at prepping and finishing a blank, then they are ready to learn and master molding and casting techniques. Like wildwings said, the bluegill and table pedestal LMB were commercial blanks, however, the wall pedestal was swimming 10 days ago, LOL. ;)

9. Brian W

I was gonna say the middle LM looked like the molded one. Didnt mean to undermine anyone just making a point. Nice job and Congrats if that's yours. Some day, I'll learn to mold as that's the ticket in my mind........

10. erik1

erik1 New Member

Great work there!! Thanks for posting the pics.

11. A lot of nice work....who did the double droptine whitetail?

12. There sure is a lot of blue going on in those first few pictures. The 3rd pic down of the lmb I think the artist intended to have the other side shown. Not positvie as I see wood on the back side but the mount looks backwards to me. I have had several mounts over the years displayed backwards from what I had inttended. Great looking mounts for sure and nice to see a great display of fish work.

13. zubba

zubba Active Member

Phil Carlson. Won Masters Best of Category and was runner-up Best of Show.

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Most of those blues are for the "art" division and the "novelty" division. Every piece in those two divisions earned blue, which makes me wonder why they even have them. ???

15. Very Nice

16. Brian

Brian Active Member

the albino coon is gorgeous!!!

17. zubba

zubba Active Member

That is from taxi.net's very own Kyle. (T3 Kyle) All four of his pieces were awesome.

18. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Thanks guys. There was alot of nice pieces there from alot of great guys on here. I had an awesome time. Lots of funny stuff all weekend!!

19. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I agree it was a great weekend. BTW, I apologize to the guy in seminar that I sicked Psycho on. I'm sure that was traumatic for you, but it was worth it to see him back peddling after threatening you with your life. haha I love April fool's day!

20. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

omg I didnt get to see that but everytime you guys told the story I laughed my you know what off.