1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wondering about a price on this cat

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by cypresslake, Apr 4, 2011.

1. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Or alter any existing Serval or even Lynx mannikins. It will take a level of skill many just do not have. Whatever this cat sold for, it went WAY overprice! I've bought skins, salted skins, from South Africa and paid $135.00 and $145.00 ... again, for salted skins. And these were good sized Toms to boot.

John.

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

John, it was only worth what someone was willing to pay. That cat has better markings than any bobcat I've seen sell for $500 or $600 on here, and it's an African.
    If you can get one for $145 somewhere else, go for it.

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I have ... twice for clients who wanted one, but for one reason or another were unable to secure one while on Safari.

And it's a SERVAL ... they ALL have better spots than a Bobcat. And far too many of those are selling for WAY too much money as well.

At the rate they kill them, they are obviously not a rare commodity, so the overpricing of these common animals is also asinine.

Now ... when they start wiping out populations from the rate they are being killed ... then the prices being charged and paid now would make sense. But by that time, they may end up being protected until populations rebound.

Not saying it is happening now ... but at the rate they are killed, it is totally a possibility.

Kind of like the American Alligator ... nearly wiped out, protected, and now bountiful once again. Hell, they have a TV show about hunting and killing them ... as well as tagging young ones and releasing them to grow and mature.

John.

4. But they are not plentiful here. I got my price structure from a very good source. I know what he sold it for and it was too cheap! Should have gotten well over 600 for it NOT being Africrap. A good Caracal skin goes for 400.

5. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

John I got on here with the cat b/c I didnt even know what kind of cat it was much less how much it was worth. I am not trying to be rude but you keep saying it was over priced and that bothers me b/c I wasnt trying to screw anyone on here, I never asked a price for it people were offering their price and the person that did buy it said that it was a very good price and was satisfied. Like bob said too I've seen bobcats on here that went for that much or more and there are alot more bobcats then serval cats just floating around on taxi. net. I do want to thank you John and the others that did teach me about this cat and who knows there were 2 spotted around here so maybe I will get another one in I hope.

Thanks Jude

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

The guy's that are out trapping them for us have to make a living. Gas, traps, licenses, etc. all cost money. Most of them don't have "regular" jobs and trapping is their lively hood. We pay what they ask if we want what they are selling. They set the price, not us.
    If I had to take a guess, I would say you offered cypresslake $145 for his cat and when you couldn't get it you cried fowl.

7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you might have killed a savannah not a pure serval if so its an exotic/domestic and would fall under same as domestic house cats and may not be able to be sold. do you know for sure its pure serval or 1st generation savannah.I'm no expert and dont know if you can tell from a pic without dna testing......I would just be careful

8. Mason

Mason Active Member

John I got on here with the cat b/c I didnt even know what kind of cat it was much less how much it was worth. I am not trying to be rude but you keep saying it was over priced and that bothers me b/c I wasnt trying to screw anyone on here, I never asked a price for it people were offering their price and the person that did buy it said that it was a very good price and was satisfied. Like bob said too I've seen bobcats on here that went for that much or more and there are alot more bobcats then serval cats just floating around on taxi. net. I do want to thank you John and the others that did teach me about this cat and who knows there were 2 spotted around here so maybe I will get another one in I hope.

Thanks Jude

Very well said and done Jude! Congrats on the sale. I hope you get another one as well!
    Really is a Cool lookin cat for sure.