1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fleshing blade... new dull and chattering

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by John L, Apr 5, 2011.

1. John L

John L Active Member

I have no idea what I done but it is new only three deer done on it and it is chattering (leaving strips on cape) and seems to be dull as a hammer. Really frustrated This is my third blade since I have had the machine and I never had a problem with the other ones.

Thanks, John

2. You just need to tune out the chatter with your steels. Light pressure is all it takes, to much and you will get that chatter your seeing.

3. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I just had the same exact issue with a brand new blade I purchased at Mcknzie, the expensive one. First strip I took off with it it had chatter lines, then it went to dull as a butter knife and would not hone... I sent it back and it had some type of defect.

4. Roger V

Roger V New Member

I have found the harder stainless steel blades harder to sharpen, and tune out the chatter marks. I prefer the softer steel blades. (The cheaper ones that Van Dykes sells)

5. You beat me to it. :)

6. Steve W

Steve W Member

ohio
    Sometimes when the blade seems really dull, its just he fact that the edge is turned to far down. It may require a little pressure to get that edge back up. Once you get the lip up slightly, then you can work it back down. A little motor oil on your steels sometimes help with tuning that edge. You'll know once you find that sweet spot!

7. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

8. ryanolson72

I agree on the softer edge and that is what I should have purchased in the first place. I was talked into this blade by a taxidermist of Mckenzies, possible because of the price, who knows any more. I did try to lift the blade edge with no luck. I pulled my guards a quarter inch away from the blade and it still would not cut the flesh, just rolled over it. Very frusterating for someone trying to learn!

9. Ryan,
    Give S&S Machine a call. They have a really nice blade. They also provide sharpening with overnight service.
    S&S Tool and Machine, Inc.
    PO Box 352
    4444 Bishop Road
    Dryden, MI 48428
    Or give us a call at (810) 796-3043
    [email protected]

10. John L

John L Active Member

Thanks for the replies and advice. It is a cheaper vandyke blade for the dakota IV I will call mckenzie and if they haven't had any problems with these blades I will keep trying to tune it out.

11. ryanolson72

thanks Doug!

12. trophy mtn.

trophy mtn. find us on FB (trophy mountain taxidermy).

wow, every one knows this one.. cheaper softer blade, along with using a rounded dowel in oil to use pressure ( front & top ) to hone the blade back to "true " i hope it will help. oh, also try to wait for the motor to slow down a bit before puting the steel to it. it will sharpen better at a slower speed, as well as cooler friction.

13. Look at the blade edge. you will see the bad spot. use oil on the blade and try to lift it rolling your steel out from the blade lip,stroke to the cutting edge. If the dont work use 400 grit wet or dry sand paper and stroke the blade from back to front using light pressure. Some marks on the hide are ok.