1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

finally started classes at West Michigan taxidermy

Discussion in 'Training' started by miketruax, Apr 5, 2011.

1. So it is now the end of day two of my 5 week classes at west mi. taxidermy with Dale M. I have had a lot of fun so far, and feel pretty tired I left my desk job for this and am not yet used to the standing all day.
    So here is the breakdown
    wk 1 skinning and fleshing
    wk 2 game heads
    wk 3 lifesize
    wk 4 fish
    wk 5 birds

my original plan was to post pics of the whole process but since most people have seen enough skinning I will skip this week but will begin posting pics next week
    have a great day and wish me luck.

2. DOUG H

DOUG H Member

Enjoy your class and look forward to following your progress,Doug

3. vadeerhunter

vadeerhunter New Member

8)

4. taxiboy24

taxiboy24 New Member

Hey can u please pm with the prices for this school please I have been trieng to find it but I can't thanks and ill tty soon

5. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Looking forward to seeint the pictures too.

6. taxiboy24

taxiboy24 New Member

Hey can someone please pm me or tell me on here the prices for this school please thank you

7. taxiboy I PMed you, so day three is more skinning and fleshing, I am doing much better than I was the first day, today I did 4 deer capes, and on the last one I skinned, fleshed and turned everything without a single hole, thanks to Dale and Julio for showing me all the little tricks, since I fell pretty good about the skinning portion I think that I will be skinning a couple of foxes tomarow then prepping my tanned cape to mount on friday...if I can stay ahead a little maybe I will be able to squeeze in a couple extra mounts.
    have a great night

8. So week one is over, I am learning a lot and really focusing on the areas that I was having trouble with on my own, the training is invaluable. Dale is very knowledgable, and I am looking forward to fish because that is IMO his specialty, we got one deer done ( minus finish work) and I feel pretty confident that monday i will be able to do one on my own. I will post pics next week

9. DOUG H

DOUG H Member

Look forward to seeing them.Doug :)

10. Dark-Memory

Dark-Memory Very sick but I'll be back in the future!

Let us know how you like that school, Ive been seriously contemplating switching colleges but since I'm so close to finishing my first degree I'm going to wait but I would like to see if I can get into a taxidermy school. I am definitely going to google this college though. :)

Good luck with your classes!

11. so I am about to start my last week, I cant seem to get the pics to upload on here so if you go to my facebook ( use my name above) I have posted them on there, I have really learned alot and have mounted 2 deer, a coon, a steelhead, a bass, a pheasant, a mallard, and have had two attempts at fox with another comming this week, everything has been great, I dont feel like anything is being held back and am learning a ton. I would recomend this class and the one on one is great, ALso I have a BS in Biology from Ferris State, and spent about 60k on that education this is a lot more fun and a whole lot cheaper.

12. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Hope to see you at the Michigan Taxidermist Assoc meetings and the show next March in Grand Rapids.

13. I cant seem to post pics, if anyone would like to post them for me I can e-mail them to you just pm me your e-mail add......thanks in advance, so I finished up today, in total I mounted 2 deer shoulder, a grey fox LS, a coon LS, a steelhead ( which I think could ribbon, hand carved body looks fantastic) LM bass, a daffy duck, and a pheasant, I had a great experience learned a lot and feel pretty confident that I could mount nearly anything....Dale is a great guy and very helpfull ( if you are reading this HI) now for a serious critique

If you are looking for a school where you can mount whatever you would like I am not sure that this is for you.....If you want a structured place to learn then this is it, the benefit of learning here is that you can be involved in commercial taxidermy...ex.. while at WMI tax.. I watched Dale and Julio mount a LS black bear, a bunch of deer, some bass, learned about the freeze dryer as heads were being done, did habitat work on LS mammels, ets...this is a working shop and you will not only learn a lot in your class but also have the opportunity to watch as other things are being done. Dale is a bear master and his fish surpass most...he has a lot to teach and is willing to do so.
    overall I had a great 5 wks and learned a ton....plus all the mounts I completed are good enough to go on my wall and for those that know me...thats saying something.
    have a great day
    mike