1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"Mounted in Alaska"

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by shdyhollotaxi, Apr 7, 2011.

1. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Yep even the Wife was like "what the bleeep" that's doesn't look very good. She was a little pissed tho, cause I made her miss Grey's Anatomy.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Look guys, until you mount one just like that POS, then you can talk. I'll agree that it wasn't the best I've seen. In FACT, Ken Walker did one in my shop that looked 10 times better, but the hide I had DID stretch and the hair was good and tight. I'm pretty impressed that he was able to even pull it off, so give him some slack here.

I still say it was a realistic show. Some of that work was what I call "production commercial" quality but the realism of him smacking that blesbok while he was talking to the fish guy, and the axis deer falling off the wall (Silly assed McKenzie interal hanger it looked like) were things we've all done. I didn't think the polar bear was that great, but working with what he had.......great save.

Remember, this wasn't supposed to be the freaking Smithsonian (and they trashed their taxidermists before we ever say any of that). It was a commercial taxidermy business run by professional taxidermist. It is what it is, it ain't what it ain't. Don't make it something it isn't.

After that clusterflock we saw on Discovery last week, you guys are sounding pretty picky. We aren't eating our own again, are we?

3. It was a great show. I think they did a great job showing everyone what to expect. The customer asked if he could have the fish in 2 days! of course not, but we should all take note on how well he made the customer happy with that japenese thing he did. Very well put together i will definatly be looking for another episode. And george id have to agree with you. it is what it is. thumbs up from me.

4. gab

gab Active Member

very realistic.giving your best clients once in a lifetime lion to your new taxidermist that you've never seen his catwork does sound like some of the stuff ive done.but not being able to chew the guy out 'cause theres a camera there would suck.

5. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Don't get me wrong on this, I've never laid hand's on anything Afri-crap. I thought the detail in the body of the lion looked great, the face didn't look as good tho. I still struggle with deer shoulder mounts, so I don't have much room to criticize, JMO as a viewer. I thought the show was great, and I'll definitely be watching next week.

6. buckhunter

buckhunter Member

UK
    Anybody know if there is anywhere to watch these on the internet yet? I'd love to see it.

7. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

http://www.history.com/shows/mounted-in-alaska/videos/playlists/full-episodes#mounted-in-alaska-growlin-and-howlin

There ya go!

8. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

I enjoyed the show. I thought they did a much better job portraying the art of taxidermy, and I will look forward to future shows.

9. I heard a lot of bleeps. And that one guy liked using the phrase, "Polishing a turd." LOL!

I agree on the cat. I've not had the privilege of mounting a lion yet (would love to though!), but I thought the head looked odd when viewed from straight on especially. Looked a bit flattened from top to bottom. I feel a bit better to know there are others out there that saw it the way I did. Because if/when I get the chance to mount one, I wouldn't have done the head in that shape.

But, as I said before, I'm anxious to see next week's shows. Loved it! =)

10. I think they probably did the best job possible on the lion. They said the skin was tanned in Africa with no stretch and had to alter the crap out of the form to fit the skin.

11. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

Again I have to agree with George on this . Yea we all have seen better mounts but I have noticed that allot of people get right on the bashing train ......why, cuz your not on the show yourself? It's television after all right , I thought THIS show was "performed" very well and almost realistically. Yea there was some bleep'n but noth'n like that "other show". I'm lookn forward to more of this show, I will not watch the other "STAGED" show again! JMHO

12. gab

gab Active Member

amen george

13. Are some of you joking by chance? I think some may be "over critiqueing" the work. I didn't see any captions stating all their customer work is guaranteed "Best in show". I sometimes swear we are our worst own enemies.
    I thought all the pieces shown were better than average.
    I think they did very well portraying us as intelligent business oriented individuals rather than the typical back woods "Git R Done" mentality most non hunters perceive us as.
    As far as the "bleeping" I am fairly sure most reality series bleep on a normal basis.
    It seemed very professional to me and I hope it continues to move in that direction.

14. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

Well they could have just shown us a show where "UNREALISTICALLY" everything went perfect. I'm glad they show the hair falling out, it "MIGHT" educate some hunters out there a bit! ;D

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

ROOKIE?????????????? gab, you must lead a secluded life in Texas. The guy paid $50,000 to shoot the damned emaciated mangy thing and $8500 would have been a steal. I have a base price in my shop for lifesize animals and I'm assuming Russell does as well. Doesn't matter if you kill a fat one or a skinny one, the base price is the same.

I still find it hard to believe the whines about one piece in this entire show and very few of you had any comments about that POS thing they had on Discovery last week. Where did any of you hear Russell chirping about being ""da bess taxidermist in the whol YOUnited States" like I heard last week. Where did you see any WTC or NTA ribbons or trophies sitting around. Can I come in YOUR shop and see better? Can I listen to you speak to your clients and be as educated and honest as Russell was? And I don't know the man nor ever have I met him, but I know a professional when I see one. Some of YOU should try to learn that technique.

16. linder

linder New Member

AMEN ! george .

17. AMEN ! george .

x2

18. buckhunter

buckhunter Member

UK
    HAPP Mark S., Thanks a lot! Can't wait to see them later on.

19. Tom Cruickshank

Tom Cruickshank The History Channel says I'm "creepy"!!

I might be wrong(wouldn't be the 1st time) but I only recall 1 lion at SCI and I'm 99% sure that one was mounted by Dan Foster. I know who that hunter was....

20. I would like for all the folks that are trashing the trashy lion to post up some pics of all the lions yall have mounted.