1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"Mounted in Alaska"

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by shdyhollotaxi, Apr 7, 2011.

1. This whole story was very interesting, James. Thanks for sharing.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

BTW 93ford , I doubt you'd understanh that nagging thought in the back of my mind that you're here just to soil laundry. A grand total of 5 posts and admittedly little experience telling us the show is questionable. Hmmm. I've been wrong before, but with YOU there's a definite odor in the air and it ain't peach blossoms

3. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

George, need I say more?

4. gab

gab Active Member

i own a shop with 3-4 taxidermists,so i'm not anywhere near his scale,but yes thats very similar.the owner/manager has to insure that each taxidermist has the forms,capes and supplies,coordinating with tanneries suppliers and verifying customers orders.Also coordinates shipping and crating and checks in new orders.Since i'm not a taxidermist,I'm more involved with correct poses and turns and rely on my taxidermists to be their own quality control,though we do check each mount when it comes over for things that may have been missed in the finishing process.Dealing with tanneries,suppliers,clients ,outfitters,freight companies,etc can be pretty stressful.
    i can't speak for others,but my taxidermists make 25% of my price list price on a finished head plus extra for horn repairs,habitats and alterations.A very good taxidermist in a commercial shop makes 50K-70K per year .with the cost of living in Alaska,i bet those guys make more.

5. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Kuddos. I saw the first positive in my business from the show last night. I had a customer call about a lifesize coyote. When I told them $700 for closed mouth and the base and open mouth were extra, they said that sounds great and reasonable. They said I just saw a show on TV and they charged $1750 for an open mouth L/S. I said yes they did. So needless to say I hope it keeps going that way. LOL ;) Hopefully they don't call my competition around here because they are at $400 to $450 or less for L/S. ;)

6. Damn Dan! Those other guys are doin LS yotes for 300 to 350? Must be hideous mounts.

7. psycho

Well I won't talk bad about their mounts but I'll tell you that they get what they pay for around here. ;)

8. Shooterschoice

Shooterschoice work is for people who dont fish

i only go 300 for l/s coyotes and smaller... that 99 percent of the people around here do them for 250. one guy its 350. but those are for closed mouth with out habatit. theres are ethier with a dirt habitat. i think the show is really good.

9. gab

gab Active Member

im 900 on a LS coyote,but i only get one or two a year.

10. psycho

I only get 4 to 6 LS a year but I would rather get $900 for them too. LOL ;) The great thing is though if these guys list their prices on everything they mount then our customers may appreciate our prices that much more. I know one doesn't make this a common occurrence but hopefully it will happen to more people around the country. Time will tell. Until I see negatives, I'm smiling. ;D

11. 93ford

93ford New Member

First off, thanks James and gab for the info and answers I was seeking.
    Secondly, since you seem to know everything George, I will add some details for those that don't. I am a part timer taxi and have been for 23 years. This passed season, I surpassed 1000 mounts and average about 80 per year over the passed 5 years. I have never worked in any other shop or for anyone and never had anyone work for me, thus the reason for my questions and interest. I don't spend a lot of time on taxinet or post often for this very reason. This forum has more arrogant, my way or no way, (4 come to mind but I won't name the rest) than any forum I have ever been on. You have 20K posts so that makes you god and you can read whatever you want into anyones elses statements because of their post count? I guess that promotes your "we 4 and no more" philosophy. Somewhere in this thread, someone stated something like 'arrogance goes with the territory or with being a big time taxi". It bothered me when I read it and really bothers me now that I see being spread about over simple interest and questions like the one I raised. Not a group anyone should be proud to be associated with. You are right about 1 thing though. I don't understand the nagging thought in the back of your mind. You stated that you have been wrong before, so why show your arrogance and ignorance going off half-cocked on some nagging thought. You could seek out the truth just like I was trying to do in a much more professional and courteous way.
    I've done the research and know that I am not the first person you have treated this way. I would also like to encourage new guys not to let a few bad apples discourage your desire to learn and ask questions and encourage everyone not to become cynical and arrogant if your post count ever reaches 20K. You can tell Redwolf is almost there.

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

You show me one time where I haven't encouraged new guy's to learn. You may "think" you have me pegged, but obviously your clueless.
    Go ahead and label me as a "Bad apple" if you want. I have a label for you too, but I wont bother posting it because it will just get zapped.
    Post count is always the thing people comment on when they have nothing better to say. So unless you have something credible to say about me, don't bother saying anything at all.

13. psycho

:D Bob tell him your a new guy you just have a lot of post. Put him in his place! ;D I'm not picking on you 93ford just having fun. 8)

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You must be "Golden 48" in an alter ego. Actually, I guess I have closer to 50,000 posts on here as some have been deleted and I don't THINK the count was transferred from the "Old Forums". Regardlless, the numbers don't mean anything to me and obviously give you some reason to bitch. Go for it.

But when you get to the world "arrogant", be damned careful. Here we just read your resume and you admit that you've never worked for or with anyone else. That didn't however, stop you from slandering Russ Knight by implying that you found it "difficult to believe" large shops operated under conditions like that. You even stated that he "walked around and never did anything", remember?? Where the hell would you have formed such an opinion from???? You just said you had no experience.

What you fail to understand is that you and pissants like Golden 48 put smearing implications that taint this entire industry. For ONCE in all my lifetime, a show has finally chosen a real taxidermy shop with real life situations. Sure, some of it has been theatrically doctored for the non-taxidermy crowd, but I have yet to see anything that hasn't happened to me once or twice. Your ARROGANT remarks imply that the uninformed public is being hoaxed into what really goes on. YOU have just smeared the industry as a whole and for your freaking fragile ego, you want to lay blame on me or any of the other "four" . Well, I don't have anything to do with the operation of this site. You should be damned thankful I don't or you'd be on the outside where you belong. So if you took exception to anything I said --- I've achieved my intent.

15. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Na. I'll let him think he's got me up against the ropes ;D

16. psycho

;D I'm trying to add to my count now. LOL

17. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

You'll never catch me ;D

18. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

Wow bad apple, from the lilttle bit that I have read sounds like we have a new bad apple and I dont think it is you Bob

19. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Oh yeah, sure....Take away my new label :mad: See if I ever help you again :D :D

20. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Bob, your such an arrogant ass! I bet ALL them posts of yours went towards being arrogant and poking fun at others! Not a single one went to helping someone. You and the others in the ''BIG 4'' Should be ashamed of yourselves! ;D