1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

water splash

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by alan webfoot, Apr 10, 2011.

1. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I found a neat way of making a splash ,that is quicker [for me] and much better looking ,after trying the process of cutting ,shaping, heating ,stretching ,bending ,and gluing together resins and Plexiglas,the end result looked lie a modern art museum reject. Fleur De Lis in burnt bubbly clear plastic. So I found another piece of Plexiglas cut it in the oval shape I needed held onto it with pliers and slowly heated the middle ,[where duck would be jumping out of]. Next after heating for quite a while with torch held pretty far back ,,I could begin to see it ripple and sag in the middle .I removed the heat and BLEW just like an 8 year old with birthday candles.The Plexiglas expanded bubbled and burst ,creating a hole stretched out and exploding off the surface just like a real water splash. This took WAY less time and looked so much better than the previous 2 tries that were trashed. All I had to do now was mark and drill holes to thread the reeds up through ,cut a cattail in 2 at an angle and glue onto both halves of ''water'',and add a few droplets,or spray.Then with a resin paint on some ripples let dry and shoot some clear gloss overall.The woody was suspended on a 9 gauge wire reed, also placed through the ''water''. Try to get pictures up in next couple of days.

2. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

Thanks , Like to see some pictures

3. would really like to see a step by step tutorial of this, sounds much easier than any other way ive seen or heard of.

4. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    X2 would really like to see some pics. Thanks

5. waldo2382

waldo2382 New Member

^what they said

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

Sounds very interesting, I to would love to see some pics/process if you would like to share.

7. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

X5

8. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Yeah Yeah....what a tease without pictures ;D

9. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

sounds cool . would love to see pic's

10. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

guy's I'm not a bullshooter ,the bird is gone but here's the process first and foremost get a respirator,, make sure you have good ventilation ,cut out a rough shape close to the size of your finished piece of plexi' ,set the propane torch on a low flame and begin to heat the area ,too close and yo'll see bubbles or char. This may take several minutes. You'll see the plexi turn even more crystal clear when it's almost ''ready''. When it sags ,,QUICKLY set down the torch and BLOW!!!!with everything youv'e got . You will open up a nice size hole and it will also cup and turn over on the edges much like those still shots of a water splash. Smaller pieces can be added for the droplets ,and even drill a few small holes through the ''water'' to place reeds grasses or cattails through.

11. Galen

Sounds like a turkey cooker burner in the garage would work good with maybe a air compressor . good ventilation in the garage and you could maybe control the heat better.

Not sure if it would be better or not . Just a thought

12. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

that would sure speed it up ,really didn't take all that long just remember to apply heat slowly ,,good thing is ,,ifyou don't get it to ''blow'' through with the firsttr just heat somemore ,,no accidents!!!Remember you just want a small portion [circular] inthe middle heated not the whole piece

13. Galen

Well maybe that would warm up to large of a area then . Did not think of that.