1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sniff sniff.. looks at feet.. kicks dirt off shoe..

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JonHarleTX, Sep 27, 2006.

1. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

No birdie referece sub category yet...

We're always the ones discrimated against!!!! ;D :D :p

I guess all in good time!

Jon~

2. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

It's the next one planned. It should be up by this weekend.

3. JonHarleTX

I was just teasing ya Ken.. I figured it would show up eventually.. :D

4. The only thing I wonder in regards to this, is whether the pictures will actually be much better than those easily found on the goggle image search, or in the publications like Taxidermy Today or Breakthrough. I only say this because of the amount of space that WASCO will need to maintain to store several hundred pictures of and how it might impinge on the speed of the forum itself.

We must all realize that WASCO does this without any monetary gain in so far as I am aware - at least I haven't kicked in any money for this excellent site. They highlight all different companies selling Taxidermy supplies (sans one) and from my perspective don't place inordinate emphasis on their company before any other. I am a guest here and don't wish to outlive my welcome by demanding extra options other than those offerred.

Jon, I am in no way saying that a reference photo section would not be valuable, just that duplication of the exact images routinely found on Goggle doesn't add much. The more valuable picture to concentrate on would be very detailed pictures of parts of bird or particular poses not easily found. For example, how many people have ever found a good picture of a ruffed grouse in flight? That, or a series of flying game would be wonderful, but people on this forum should remember that most pictures are copyrited - so scanning in pictures from books, or freely taking pictures from other sites on the interenet should be frowned upon. WASCO probably would be responsible. This practice would be very similar to having a taxidermist create a personal web site and use photos from a competing taxidermists web site - or even one clear across the country.

5. JonHarleTX

Stephen,

I totally agree the last thing we need is a bazillion pictures of a Mallard that can be obtained and stored elsewhere, however, a well groomed referece section with your basic shots of bill color, eye color, shape, foot color in an "easy access" 1 stop finds all site would be very helpful....
    Different poses.. eh.. I could live with or without them. For the most part a bird is a bird is a bird and a foot stretch on a Green wing teal will be very similar to a foot stretch on a gadwall. I do however, salivate at the thought of a section dealing with nothing more than the mechanics behind flight.

Also keep in mind, having this reference section in one spot on the internet would be very beneficial to many. Not all Taxidermists live in the city where DSL or high speed interenet is available and googl"ing" anything can be a very painful and time consuming process. I can agree that the internet is a highly valuable resource, although sometimes wadeing through it can be very discouraging.

Just this week I spent more than "alot" of time trying to deteremine the eye color of a Band Tailed Pigeon. I googled and found plenty of pictures.. So many infact, that the vast majority were of little use. Out of I think 25 pages, I found 4 pictures that showed the eye clearly enough to make a sound decision. I DO have DSL and would hate to think what that would have cost me time wise if I were on dial-up (they have an oxblood red eye with a silver/grey ring around the pupil that is size proprtionate to the dialation of the pupil itself.) Tru googling "blue wing teal" and you will get a ton a photos, many good.. But how many show a good close up a hen beak that shows the subtle color variations and spotting?? I went through 17 pages and didn't find one. I gave up.

Ken has laid out specific rules for the sub-cats that are already in place and I am sume a bird sub-category will be molded along the same lines. He has even warned against copyrighted images... He has said nothing as to a concern on space limitations. Where as I am sure this is not infinate, from seeing other websites, I know the capability is out there to host such a tremedous resource.

Anyhow.. Speaking of spending time on the computer.. I guess I should actually go get to work now.. It's been great chatting with ya Stephen!

Jon~

6. Ah Jon what are you sniffling about. It is us reptile guys and gals that are the step children of the taxidermy industry. We are the ones discriminated against just because we like snakes. ;) There ya go Ken, another project: reference library for reptiles. ;D

7. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

I just have to say that the title of this post is Hilarious!!!!! And I too would love to see pics of flying and landing ducks, and close-up shots of heads and feet.