1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( added insulation pic's)

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Toxic, Apr 10, 2011.

1. I have been busy today making a degreaser, it started off as a tank of hydraulic fluid from a manufacturing site, the tank was free. Thats not me, its my buddy paul who got me the tank.

[​IMG]

I started by removing the tank from the frame by removing 2 top supports from the metal frame and sliding the tank out.

[​IMG]

I then determined the center of the tank to leave a top and bottom, and marked it for cutting.

[​IMG]

I used a small air power saw all for cutting the tank and frame.

[​IMG]

After cutting the tank in half it needed cleanning, there was hydralic fliuid in it. I pressure washed and then hand washed the tank halves.

[​IMG]

I then sized up the tank half by putting it in the frame, this let me know how much was need to be cut off.

[​IMG]

I then cut the frame down to the needed size and marked the tank for trimming.

[​IMG]

After trimming the tank and frame its almost done, I drilled 2 holes in the tank by each frame arm to attach the tank via zip tie to the frame. this will keep the tank from bowing in when there is no water in it. You can this by the black dashes at the top edge of the tank.

[​IMG]

The other half seen in the back ground is getting a wood frame floor and the same treatment as far as frame cutting and trimming to give me two of these degreasers, you can see it in the back ground.

[​IMG]

Next weekend I will add the lower water heater thermostat and heating element, I will try to get some quality pic's of the thermostat and element wiring also. I will make a lid like my other degreasers and Will show you how I do that also. The tanks bottom has a drain but I will have to adapt an fitting to it to attach a hose for draining outside my shop. have worked this out will try to get some pic's of this too. So this will do til next weekend.

2. coorsguy

coorsguy New Member

Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy)

That is a killer setup, Toxic!

3. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy)

its getting insulated also, forgot to add that. this is to show that almost anything that can hold water can be a degreaser for the bucket method, it holds 9 five gal. buckets, both together will give me 18 heated buckets. had to expand my degreasing operation

4. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy)

Cool as heck Jim, Thanks for posting.

5. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy)

Oooo electricity bill?

6. rob.s

rob.s New Member

Sweet setup!!

7. skinandbonesartistry

skinandbonesartistry New Member

I used one of those totes for my beetle enclosure. It is insulated, heated, and vented outdoors to reduce the odors. I can put really big things in it like elk and caribou. It is real easy to clean because it has a built in drain. I call it the Beetle Bungalow. I attached some photos. I hope they show up.

Attached Files:

8. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 New Member

damn nice set-up.

9. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy)

X2

Don't fall in ;D

10. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy)

real nice exterior SkinandBones, the seal set up on that top looks good. I am getting another tank, gives me ideas for another bug box. My insulation is going to be blocked in on the bottom and roll insulation wrapped on the outside.

11. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 New Member

Roll on being fiberglass? Problem with that is moisture. Not good if wet right? Take it and have it sprayed on for the absolute best. Spendy but strengthens as well.

12. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy)

great idea RD ! checking on it now

13. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy)

Whoa ! stop the bus ! would be cheaper to frame it up with the foam board insulation 3 inches thick. going that route since it not so sensitive to getting wet. does not need strengthened.

14. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 New Member

Definately your frame is strong enough...just an advantage to the spray. Must have been spendy where you checked.
    Lucky to have Log home builders here and friends in the trade. I did bartering on mine.

15. skinandbonesartistry

skinandbonesartistry New Member

Frame it in, screw the tote to the frame and put lots of silicone between the tote and the frame. I then put Fiberglass Reinforced panels on the exterior. Flash the top surface with aluminum roll material and again silicone the underside. On top of the flashing I put aluminum corners that are used for acoustic ceilings siliconed down then screwed. that keeps the aluminum flashing secure. you can see the detail in one of the photos of the top. It took me two days to build this one. I would not hesitate to fill it with water. Iit is watertight. The lid gets a little heavy so I put the balast and pulley system on as an afterthought. It lifts just as easy as a Freezer lid now. I also put casters on the bottom so I could roll it out the door for cleaning. I don't need a drain hose that way. it was a little pricey (about $450 for everything but the tote), but it has definately paid for itself.

16. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy)

looking at about $175 to $200 to get it 1 of them done based on the pro's spraying it and me getting a DIY kit. I could probably spray both with one kit. trying to get this done on the cheap, but the insulation needs to be good, will think about it til the weekend

17. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy)

Some really good Ideas!

18. coorsguy

coorsguy New Member

Unless they're a hunter! ;D

The taxi that is doing my bull called the other day and has a beef he wants done, don't owe him a dime now. I love trade work

19. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 New Member

20. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy) (up-date)

finnished the other side of the tank this weekend, have the heating elements and thermostats to install tomorrow when I get in from work. Since the bottom section did not have a support for the tank I had to build one. cost is about $20 for the 2x4 (3), 2 boxes of deck screws (2 and 4 inch), and pipe hold downs.

Fist pick is of the bottom support.

[​IMG]

simple butt joint worked for me

[​IMG]

mounted the pipe support to the board with the pipe hold downs

[​IMG]

Had to trim off the pipe ends so I used my large saw all for that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

since this part of the tank was actually the top, I had to cut a recess hole for the tank opening, no pic of the hole just the marking of it.

[​IMG]

after that I just added the tank and zip tied the top like the other one. Will add the heating elements and thermostats tomorrow. Have my insulation plan in place and add these pic's when completed.