1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( added insulation pic's)

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Toxic, Apr 10, 2011.

1. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    Go ahead and send me three of them toxic.

2. any special options you need added, or do you just want the base model

Oh yea Coop, I have called off my special project we talked about on the phone. it was turning into a big headache and the price for making it happen was going out the roof. will put off until I get my hands on some stuff.

3. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    Yea I been watching for it toxic. I tried to tell you that making intimate blow up dolls would be tough!

4. Dude, don't give my secretes away

5. beaverfoot

beaverfoot Member

how often would have to change the water in the tube

6. you must mean tank, I only add water to them as needed to cover evaporation during the busy times. Only need to add about once a month if then. I drain them during the summer when times are slow and hose out and refill.

7. Question for you guys that have built these... when you frame and insulate the tank do you go right over all the wiring and thermostat? Maybe a small access cover over the thermostat? I'm hoping that this will be able to sit and run some what efficiently outside during a North Dakota Winter.

8. I put my wiring between the tank and the insulation. Yes, I have an access hole with cover, over the stat. Works great. I am NOT heating with electric element. I have an LP water heater that heats the water and then runs thru Pex piping into each tank.

9. Thanks! I can't wait to get this running, it's gonna be way better than way I was doing it before. Awesome thread, thanks to everyone for the info!

10. Raphite01

Raphite01 New Member

Hopefully I'm forgiven for bumping this thread; it gets referenced often.

Question from a non-electrician: What exactly are the consequences of having this setup in an ungrounded plastic tank? If I forget to unplug it and reach into the water, am I going to get my socks blown off?

If so, how does one go about grounding this thing?

11. Raphite01

Raphite01 New Member

Also, this thermostat says it's for 208-480 volt, but the 1500W element is 120V. There's a "single element thermostat" for 120-480V, but it has four screws for wires and I have no clue what's going on there.

12. sbskullworks

sbskullworks Member

Toxic, It looks like you used 5 gallon buckets for the skulls? I just picked up this same type of tank today and am getting everything I need to build. 99% of the skulls I am doing are deer size or smaller. Have a separate tank I can use for anything bigger. I'm considering trying a little smaller of a bucket, and wanted to get your thoughts since yours has been up and running.

13. Re: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( pic heavy) (final up-date)

Just use 220 volt elements and a thermostat like a hot water tank. Run 10/3 copper wire and a 2-pole 30 amp breaker. That way both elements wont be on at the same time, and you can have continuous heat .

14. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

I recently came up on a 5-6' chest freezer that's non working. It's free so I might as well take advantage of it. It's going to be kept outside all year and I was wondering what I had to do to prep it for a degreasing tank.

Does the inside need a coating of some kind?

I'd like to use a single element. Given that it's a freezer so it's insulated and it has a lid, can I get away with using just one heating element?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

15. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Marking :)

16. bucksco80

bucksco80 Member

marking

17. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

Thank you for bumping this back up, great seeing others set up. Going to use that lid idea for sure.

18. David Jones

David Jones New Member

Anyone still around to fix the pics on these?

19. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Toxic was last seen:
    Jul 6, 2014 Unfortunately, probably not. I do not know how to contact him. Don't see anything in the profile anywhere and his picture links are really broken. Sometimes you can right click on the image to see them but not in this case. Photobucket really screwed up a lot of nice posts on here.

20. Can't open the pics?