1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( added insulation pic's)

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Toxic, Apr 10, 2011.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Absolutely Photobucket stinks for doing this. With this new forum, hopefully pictures will not be lost on great tutorial threads from this point on!

Megan :) likes this.
  2. KYBeetleman

KYBeetleman New Member

datafree.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg IMG_4754.jpg IMG_4756.jpg IMG_4759.jpg Rookie here just built my first tank. I welcome any constructive comments on the design. I tried to use what I had around the house, only had to purchase the thermostat and element and silicon . As of right now it is holding 120 solid in the tub, I think I will inch that up tomorrow to get the bucket to that temp as it is no a little lower. Will give it 24 hours. I can fit two buckets and have an additional piece of the thermal wrap for them. Thinking I'll be able to do 2-4 WTD skulls at a time, but I'm not into doing a lot just learning the ropes right now.

3. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

I know this is an old post, but it may come back to life.

I have the heating element, thermostat, and other items in my shopping cart on amazon, all i need to do is hit order. I already have the IBC pallet and could easily pick up the foam board any night at Lowe's. I am struggling with the decision to build one these tanks. I have been simmering my game head skulls for years and just dont know if this method is worth the change. I can simmer out several game head skulls in an evening with very little cost. I know this warm water maceration is a better product, but the cost seems to more as well as much longer turn around.

I was wondering if someone could help push me over the edge and just build one. Please help me understand how this is a better option then simmering.

4. StonewallSkullWorks

StonewallSkullWorks New Member

"the guy you know" This is a degreasing tank for removing the grease from the bone after it has had the meat removed by beetles or whatever method you use, this is not used to remove the meat

5. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Stonewall,

This tank will also work without using beetles. It will just take longer.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You can try a one off with a deer skull and maceration to see if you like the difference in appearance. Yes, it takes longer but the skull you turn out is much nicer. I tell clients a 2 to 3 month turn around. Sometimes they are done sooner and they are happy. The tank setup in this thread is to get the grease out of the skulls, not to get the flesh off. If you simmer, this setup may not even really work for you because the grease has been cooked into the bone and it is a royal pain to get out. What you can do is strip all the flesh you can off a skull including the eyes and removing the brain. The more flesh you strip off the faster it goes. Get it into a 5 gallon bucket with a submersible aquarium heater turned up all the way. Make sure the head is submerged. Wrap it with some pink insulation to help hold the heat in. Cover it over and leave it alone for a week. Add more water to top it off as it evaporates. After a week, pour off half the water and add fresh clean water. Warm water is better than cold. Take a look at the skull and it should be mostly clean but might need some more time. Give it another week and it should be stripped of flesh completely. The water has to be warm 24/7 for this to work properly. After this you rinse it really well and try degreasing it. It stinks bad, can't mention that enough. It does take more time but you will never have a damaged skull, powdery bone or skulls that fall apart in your hands. And you have more time for you. Also, before you jump at Amazon, look for some of that stuff at Lowes or Home Depot probably for less money.