1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rust on WTD summer coat

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mrdux, Apr 10, 2011.

1. mrdux

mrdux Member

A couple of years ago I mounted a velvet buck that was taken the 1st of Sept here in KY. What little hair the cape had was red summer coat. It was done on a full sneak form and the client was elated. He then took it to his business and hung it in his non-air conditioned, barely heated shop (against my advice). Friday he brought it back when he picked up a buck I had just finished mounting. The velvet buck has rust stains all along the neck muscles and in the brisket area where it had been pinned/nailed. I rarely use hide nails on any mounts but I do pin the capes in the low points until they are dry. I use regular t-pins from taxi suppliers for this or galvanized hide brads if at all. He is now wanting to take my advice and hang it in his house. I need to figure out what has rusted on the cape and get the rust stains off. The stain is confined to the pinned points. Any ideas how to get the rust off this almost slick cape? Thankfully, there are no issues with the freeze-dried antlers.

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

That's interesting that there is rust even though the pins are not there? Did I understand that correctly? If you left them in, they simply pull excessive moisture out of the air and the rust process begins. There are alot of rust removing products out there, but not sure if they would be safe for your cape. Iron out is an excellent product that I use to clean my conditioner in the house. Not sure what that would do to a cape though. I personally have never had to remove rust from a mount. For future reference, if you have to leave any pins in a mount, they should be stainless.

3. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

The rust remover Mckenzie sells actually works really well. I'd start there.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Iron out, as Matt suggested is a great product, I would try that on a spot to see if it harms the hair before doing the whole mount. It is great for removing rust from washing machines, toilets, sinks and cleans water softeners.

5. mrdux

mrdux Member

I went back over the cape very closely this AM. The discoloration is not rust. It appears to be at every hole where the cape was pinned. There are zero pins or brads that were left in this cape. I'm going to try a couple of things that have worked for removing stains in the past. I may end up having to paint over the stain areas like I would on African. I keep Iron Out and Whinks at the shop to remove iron oxide stains from waterfowl. The aggravating thing about this whole deal is the fact I told the guy that hanging the mount in his shop was a bad idea and he did it anyway. Now he expects ME to make it right since he does a lot of business with me.

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I would try the Whinks first, just by putting a little bit on a cotton swab and dabbing the stains to see what happens.
    It won't hurt the mount, and if you are worried about the acid you can always dust it with some baking soda and then brush it out.