1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Okay, so I had this little hole to fix today

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Matt, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Active Member

Yeah, I wish it was just a little hole!(LOL) I thought I would share this for some that are having trouble with the bigger than average hole. This was a bullet graze that litterally blew open the skin. Most everything was there, I just had to piece it back together. In the second pic, you can see just how big the hole is. I thinned down the edges and cut out the actual graze as best I could without getting into hair patterns in the brisket too much. On holes like this, there is only so much you can do without distorting the brisket. Keep your stitches tight separating the hair as you push the needle though the other side. The third pic, you can see it pretty much finished minus alittle more grooming. It's not perfect, but it came out better than I thought it would.

Attached Files:

2. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

You're pretty handy with a needle and thread there Matt................nice job on the repair.

Sam

3. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

I would have freaked out on a hole like that :eek: great job on the repair!!!!

4. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

Now that's gettin it done. Nice work Matt.

5. huntersdream

huntersdream New Member

nice save Matt

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thanks guys. I really wanted to post this to show that major holes can be repaired it you look at the hole picture. Maybe not all of them, but most can be if you put your mind to it, and also to help someone out if I could. Thanks again, and don't give up on those repairs!

7. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Great job Matt! You definitely wouldn't know it was there unless someone told you, and you still can't see it.

8. Now the question of the day was how much did you charge extra for doing that?

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Nice save! Taxidermy in itself is a major repair job. There are precious few perfect specimens!

10. mrdux

mrdux Member

Nice job! Not much way to hide a hole like that.

I had a guy bring in a big bobcat that had all its guts blown out one side with the front shoulder torn up to boot. I told him there was little doubt which side would go against the wall. The abdomen hole/tear ended up being 13" across but went back together pretty well. Needless to say, that side is now against his wall.

11. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Very nice repair Matt. The sign of a good taxidermist is one who can fix the customers bad shots or field care.

I had a bad one that I couldn't turn away. A very good and loyal customer brought me a coyote he had shot with a 12 gauge slug. The slug hit about 1/4 inch behind the nose and rode the face back to the ear. Again like yours the pieces were all there. I did a pose with the bad part to the back of the finished mount. When it was done and the customer picked it up, you almost couldn't tell where he had blown it apart.

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thanks again guys. I knew someone was going to ask that Craig. Believe it or not, this one wasn't that extensive, but did take sometime to cut out and prepare. This one met my 50.00 minimum.

13. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

You the man Matt, holy bleep. I would have been sayin (well you know I think you need a new cape) LOL.

14. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

nice save Matt most people wouldn't even attempt that just get another cape

15. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

Wow! And to think I was worried about the 5 inch gash in one of my hides.

16. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I have one that got blasted in the atlas with a slug(major hemorraging everywhere, even in the ears), and when skinning it, he chopped the briskit all to hell.
    Nice work, Matt. You inspire me to keep trying when skins seem ruined.

17. Been there done that! I had the same scenario this past year but up higher on the neck, and a bobcat with a similar sized hole in it this year... What fun it is.... ;)
    Nice save Matt.

18. dhart

dhart Active Member

I hope I never see one that big in my shop, but, at least I know it can be repaired, thanks for the lesson in sewing.

19. python12

python12 Member

I have a Kaibab deer next on my list that has almost the same sized hole
    in almost the same place on it..Good customer & not lookin forward
    to repairing it, but it has to be done..