1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First hanging dead pose.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bpbigperm, Apr 12, 2011.

1. I shot a bwt, cinny, and spoonie with my uncle one day. The bwt is rare around here so I wanted to try the hanging dead mount of all 3 ducks we shot. Here is my first bird of the pose. I have some reference pics, but could always use a second opinion. Let me know what you think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bill got scrapped up a little, I will touch that up when I spray the feet.

2. Grooming looks good and all around the mount does as well. The only thing that sticks out to me is your line at which point the duck is hanging. A dead ducks hangs straight from the leg to the bill. Yours looks to have a angle to it that will in fact be there, yours is just to much. Also your wing are off IMHO some like them like that, I have reference pics I have taken of duck hanging just after they where shot. So that is what I use for my references. I have attached a picture of a pair of BB's I did, although I don't have the reference pic here at work. Hope this helps you some! Again nice looking cinny!!!

[​IMG]

3. not bad at all, just adjust the line ... get the wings a little closer to body, and don't forget about feet, card them or do something, else they will shrink a lot

good job!

4. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

They are correct on the line. Also, remember that the foot that it's hanging by is going to be extended more than the "free" foot. With that in mind, you need to anchor that leg a little farther back on the body. Also, I have not seen a dead duck with wings extended that much. Here is a photo of some "strapped" ducks. Notice the wing on the "free" side is partially extended and (for the most part) the wing on the strapped side is closer to the body because the body is leaning in that direction.

Try this.... thaw a bird, work the wings / legs loose so the joints are flexable again, hang it and study it in the shop. Basically a real dead mount reference at that point.

Attached Files:

5. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I LIKE seeing the game strap on the leg instead of the neck in the field,,, agree with folding up left wing just a bit then close the right almost all the way,kinda like the ''cupped and commited'' look,on the right wing,and the angle ,sure looks spotlesly clean,,maybe [ mo only] fan tail a wee bit ,more tilted to the left side

6. Re: First hanging dead pose.

[​IMG]

Here is a cell phone pic of the finished product. Let me know what you think.

7. Nice . What first caught my eye was that the wings seem to be stretched out to far. I feel they should be closer in to the body.In that position the wings could be considered for a flying mount, meaning extended to far and not portraying a dead waterfowl in my opinion. I still feel you did a nice job!

8. Both the teals wings are not set correctly, the shoveler doesn't have a neck. Also yes the wings are extended way to far for a dead mounted bird. Look at the above reference picture of the mallards hanging in the tree. The hanging foot on the shoveler is twisted backwards. Don't give up Rome wasn't built in a day, we all went through these same steps, but most of the guys on here didn't have the internet to ask questions.

9. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

I like those dead poses.Nice work