1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey hunting thread

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Pete-pec, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Don't we usually have a turkey hunting thread? Forgive me if it's been posted already, and I missed it.

I'll start. This is my Son's last youth hunt for turkey. 23 pounds, 1 inch spurs, and ll inch beard. Unseasonably warm here, and was very hot in the blind, so we were hunting in T shirts and shorts. My Son asked if he could take his shirt off because of the heat? Of course his skin was glowing white with winter being so long here in Wisconsin, but that bird never knew what hit him.

Good luck to everyone. Of course I've seen pictures posted on other forums, so let's see them here. I know Brian (DUXRUS) has at least three already, so post them up!

2. Congrats...

Wed. April 6, 2011
    We had some extremely sever weather come through early morning so I decided to give them a break Tuesday. But I was back at them today, I couldn't land a partner to tag along so I went in by myself. I had high hopes after going on Monday and getting a bird for Tim (My buddy). The birds had been roosting on the south property line away from the hay field so I elected to start there this morning. After about 20 minutes after sunrise I hadn't heard a peep. So I decided to do a hoot had a bird fire off what I thought was the other roost near the hey field. So I headed back that way, got setup and the bird gobbled at some crows and he was at least 300 yards from the field and off of our property. So I elected to wait him out and see if I could talk him into range. Well about an hour later I finally get him coming closer and then a hen gets between us and I start fighting with her. About 30 minutes later 4 birds make their grand appearance about 125 yards on the back of the hay field. I was setup on the mouth of the field that feed into our club road. We have found that the birds strut in the field then make there rounds down the road and off our property to a big ag field. I pulled out my binoculars to see what I was working with and it turns out it was 2 jakes, 1 hen and a big longbeard. I knew that I would need to get to one of the 6 hay rolls in front of me because the birds for the most part never came close to the woods behind them. So at this point I am moving behind the hay rolls to get a better advantage without giving up my location. After watching them feed to the far side of the field I called to try and spark the hen. Sure enough it worked she yelped back and I cut back and here she came. The hen and 1 of the jakes stay toward the field edge feeding to me and the gobbler and other jake stay on the open field side of me. The gobbler in full strut following the hen and jakes and occasionally chasing the jakes around. At this point I have squeezed myself in between a gap about 14 inches between the 2 hay rolls at the end and was peeking over the top to get a solid location to come up with a plan. The hen and jake on my left fed with in 5 yards of me near the field/wood edge. Mean while the other jake and gobbler are inching closer and within 15 yards at this point. I thought at that point I was going to be busted so I positioned myself to be one with the hay roll. Finally the hen and jake on the left break and start feeding away from me down a harrowed spot on the edge of the field. Just a few minutes and the other jake follows leaving the gobbler strutting at this point at about 18 yards on my right. My plan was to inch out to the field side of the hay roll and shoot him as he walked away. I had already taken my gun off safety and begin the adjust my legs to make my move. The gobbler breaks strut and takes about 2 steps into a 3/4 strut and I make my move. I put the 20 gauge bead on the back of his head at about 22 yards and pulled the trigger the gobbler just fell forward flapping his wings.

Stats:
    11-1/2" Beard
    1" spurs
    21lbs 11oz

[​IMG]

Thur. April 7, 2011
    Well this hunt was allot faster than I had expected it to be. Got into my listening spot about 6:20 and at about 6:50 a crow sounds off and a gobbler right after. He was within 100 yards of me at that point. So I move fast and find a good setup, set the decoy and make a few soft tree calls. The bird answers, just to make sure he was answering to me and not a crow I cluck softly and roll into a yelp at which point he cuts me off and I shut up. With-in a few minutes I see birds flying into the field, turns out to be 2 jakes and a minute or so after a nice gobbler. He hits the ground at about 40 yards and goes straight into strut mode. He starts working toward the decoy when a hen flys into the picture and she starts walking off with the gobbler in tow. So I make my move and when he dropped strut I let it eat and dropped him at 41 yards.

Stats:
    11-5/8" Beard
    1" Spurs
    20lbs 7oz

[​IMG]

3. hmw

hmw New Member

My dad and I went out Saturday afternoon and got a gobbler double. Pretty typical West River SD prairie turkeys. Mine had a 8.5" beard and 3/4" spurs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bubba z

bubba z New Member

got one of my best osceola's ever. had 3 beards 12.25",4.25" and 4.25",1.5" spurs,19lbs8oz. i dropped my girlfriend off near some fields and went to another spot about a mile away. had a gobbler fly down with a lot of hens and go the other way.she texted me and said she was close to a nice one and i took off her way. she said it would gobble back to her and go the other way with 6 hens.i got close told her to call heard it gobble and we got on each end of a narrow strip of woods between two fields and waited. he came to about 60 yards and strutted until almost 1100am until he finally came within range and i shot him. my girlfriend was 50 yards from him twice but couldnt get closer and she had never ever killed a turkey before.

Attached Files:

5. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Here are 3 Tennessee Easterns that I have tagged so far....

19.5 lbs, 1" spurs, 11" beard
    [​IMG]

21.5 lbs, 1" spurs, 11" & 5" beard
    [​IMG]

22.5 lbs, 1" spur, 11.5", 8", 7.5", and 4" beards
    [​IMG]

I am now pacing myself after getting these three back to back to back mornings.... ;D

6. Here's a couple of mine from SD. Start in MN tomorrow AM.

Bruce

Attached Files:

7. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

6 days and counting ,hopefully the rain will have ended by then!!last spring was so dry the gobblers couldn't stay in their strut zones on the ridges.Because no hens were there they ALL moved down to a water source.

8. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Wisconsin bird, zone 2
    21 pounds
    10" beard
    1" spurs

I had a blast !!

Attached Files:

9. mn_jimmer

mn_jimmer New Member

Bruce were you hunting on tribal land? We are heading out to Murdo tomorrow. Hopefully we can get I few good days in with this weather system coming in. Duxrus congrats on the multiple bearded birds.

10. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Sorry no field pictures, First bird 18# 10" beard and 3/4 spurs

[​IMG]

Second bird, 21 1/2 # 11" beard 1 1/4 spurs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Oh boy, Im getting excited. Michigan has 2 spring seasons. Early season starts monday. The second season starts first monday in May. I can't wait. I take in a lot of turkeys so I won't have much time to get out hunting, but My wife is great about taking them im of im not here, so you bet your *** I will get out to hunt sometime.

12. Just got back from SD. Got 2 nice toms. Shot this guy on the fly.

[​IMG]

13. This 1st MN season is killing me. The first morning the weather was OK, but since then 20-25 mile per hour winds. Cold, drizzle, some sleet. Long johns, stocking cap, heavy gloves, hand warmers. That first morning I was hunting on the neighbors farm, almost had the deal closed and I had a guy drive right up to my tent on his 4 wheeler at 6:30 am. The birds had been on the ground already for 30 minutes. He was just getting there and wanted to know where I was hunting. I said not here anymore, you just scared them away. What an idiot. I gave him a piece of my mind.

I have been sitting until 2pm and then taking a break and going out until dark again. Our seasons are only 5 days long. Sounds like the wind is here through the weekend too. If I had to guess, my string of 20 straight years of shooting a MN bird is in serious jeopardy! ;D I haven't heard any gobbles after 7am. I usually get most of my birds from 9 till noon. They might be gobbling but I sure can't hear them.

Bruce

14. ANYBODY GOT MERRIAMS FOR SALE?

Mike.

15. Some Osceola birds I took and some friends I put on birds. Season is over in a week. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. This is day 4 of my 5 day season here in southeast MN. The last 3 days have been super windy with rain and sleet. This am I wake up to a blizzard. 20 mph winds and snow coming down like crazy. It was hard to leave the house but with only 2 days left you have to get out there and make the most of it. Our turkey numbers are way down around here. We have had 3 tough winters in a row with deep snow and ice plus some bad hatches. On our 600 acres, I think we only have 2 longbeards, 2 jakes and 5 hens. That's it! Well, now there is one less long beard.

I set up my tent where I had been hearing a bird the last few days. About 1/2 hour after sunrise I heard a faint gobble way down in the valley about 500 feet in elevation below me. I got out of the tent to get a better line on where it came from. I heard it again and called. He gobbled back but I could barely hear him. I kept calling and he walked up the hill gobbling all the way. I got back in the tent and got ready. He was getting close. Then I could hear him spitting and strumming right behind this big fallen tree. Still couldn't see him and he was within 30 yards. He had to go left or right to come out into the field and he came to my left at 20 yards. He has some nice spurs!

Bruce

Attached Files:

17. huntingfool

huntingfool Member

Congrats to all that have been successful!!! Good luck to all my Michigan brothers and sisters who will be hitting the fields and woods Monday!! Took a week off to hunt, and the weather forecast isn't great... Hunting some new property that have birds "in the area".. heard gobbling last weekend, so we'll see.. My prime land has gone to "relatives" of the landowner this year. Now that place was GREAT hunting!! Again, good luck!!

18. babowhunter

babowhunter Man,I love this stuff!!

Congrats Bruce! Were you hunting with gun or your bow?I have another week to go before my season but my dad is hunting this first season and said it has been tough hunting also with all the wind!We are in western Mn so we dint have the numbers here but it is always a blast to get out there!Saw three nice toms yesterday on the land i hunt so i am pumped!Again congrats on a nice bird!

Snow, snow go away and come back next year!!

19. Used a gun. Opportunities are tough to come by in our MN season and I like to up my odds.

Bruce

20. babowhunter

babowhunter Man,I love this stuff!!

Hey Bruce, I hear you! My dad just called this morning and said he just got his too! Hope my season goes well!

Steve