1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey hunting thread

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Pete-pec, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Just returned from finishing my Grand Slam.I hunted with M.J. Taxidermy in Orange City,Florida.Mike offers a great hunting experience.Lots of birds,door to door service from the airport,are just some of the services he.offers.I was able to hearvest a great Osceola,18# 9inch beard,and 1 3/4 inch spurs.We hunted Friday afternoon,and all day Saturday.Saw lots of birds just not able to capitalize until Sunday morning.Mike and his family opened there home to me and made me feel very comfortable during my hunt.If you are looking to hunt in Florida MIKE IS THE MAN.Hope to hunt with Mlle again.Happy hunting everyone,I start hunting here in Iowa come Wednesday morning.

2. Joshbritt

Joshbritt New Member

My first turkeys ever!!! Opening weekend in SC I hunted solo and called in a jake then a gobbler.

Jake, 12 lbs, 3.5" beard.

Gobbler - 20lbs, 10 inch beard. 1 1/4" spurs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next weekend, I took my buddy to the same spot. He gobbled several times on the roost. I had 2 hen decoys setup in front of us and a jake on the edge of a field. The gobbler flew off the roost walked into the field and charged the decoy.

19lbs 10 1/14" beard 1 1/4 spurs.
    [​IMG]

3. bubba z

bubba z New Member

took my 7 year old daughter turkey hunting for the first time and she got this one right after daylight.it gobbled good in the tree flew down and strutted right up to the blind and she dropped it at 5 yards with a youth 20 gauge.10" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.

Attached Files:

4. lov2bhntn

lov2bhntn www.tailfeatherstaxidermy.com

Here is my bird from this past saturday. 22lb, 11 inch beard, and 1.25 inch spurs. Man I love turkey hunting just as much as duck hunting. ;D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Buck Deer

Buck Deer Member

KY
    My wife and I celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary Saturday. We got it off on a good start at 7:15 when we doubled up on these two birds.
    [​IMG]

6. stuffinducks

stuffinducks New Member

9 April 2011 was my opener here in Utah. And to not much to my surprise...we had 10" of snow in the morning. I killed my Tom around 5:30pm as they were heading back to the roost. I did have my 3mm duck waders on during the hunt. Stayed pretty dry. ;D

SD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Shot this guy on Sunday whlie hunting with my dad. 23.9lbs. 11" beard and 1.25" spurs.
    [​IMG]

8. lov2bhntn

lov2bhntn www.tailfeatherstaxidermy.com

Nice birds everyone!!! One of these days I am going to take a trip and get a nice Merriams. I love that coloration.

9. Joshbritt

Joshbritt New Member

I shot a jake that had colors like that... Is that normal for Jakes to have colors like a Merriams?

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Jakes and hens often have lighter tips than gobblers.

I'm off to a good start. My brother and I headed to KS for some public ground hunting and doubled on Rios...

Attached Files:

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

...then opening day in MO my buddy Mac and I doubled on a couple big Easterns.

Attached Files:

12. Decent bird has a 9" beard and absolutely nothing for spurs. 17 yard shot strutting in the dekes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. GC

GC New Member

Opening day bird...11 1/4" beard, 1 1/4" spurs.

Attached Files:

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Looks like a show piece to me.

15. GC

GC New Member

You are welcome to use it for one if I get to keep it after the show!! Maybe someday I will use a turkey for a show piece again....I have an idea or two.
    Bird fell dead, not one feather lost or damaged!! I will definetely mount him just for the fact he is in perfect shape....well except his head.

16. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Uhhh, you don't want me mounting it. LOL

17. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Congrats to all the skillful hunters out there who have scored already. I had not seen a single bird on the property all Spring until last night. A Tom and 3 Hens showed up in the afternoon and stayed until dark. This morning I woke up to 4 Toms strutting around the house. My season isn't until the first week of May can not wait!!

18. huntingfool

huntingfool Member

Got mine yesterday at 9:30 in the morning... I was going to move my blind, when I heard some gobbling from over a hill. So I scooted up another hill, and started calling. He didn't want to come in, so I turned my head and called away from him, and that's all it took. He topped the hill and never knew I had the gun pointing at him. A two year old with a 9 inch beard, and spurs only 3/4 inch long... Now time to take the boy out Friday...

19. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

This is all I can do today!
    [​IMG]
    Not a great picture taken in a sleepy stuper!

20. mn_jimmer

mn_jimmer New Member

We had a good hunt last weekend at the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota. We filled all 8 of our tags in 2.5 days even though we had 8 inches of snow the night we got in and hardly saw a bird the first day.

Attached Files: