1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bondo really sucks

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Pescado, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I ran out of the IE 3066 mother mold material, had to resort to some bondo/glass. That's some nasty, stinky crap to work with. I do not know how anyone can work with that on a regular basis. I can use the 3066 at the kitchen table, if I tried that with this stuff, Brends would shoot me. I do not know if my head feels funny from the bondo or the fact that it's beer Tuesday.

PB

Attached Files:

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Smell? What smell??? My olfactory senses were burned out long ago.

3. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

yep it has a smell allright lol

4. I think you burnt the meatloaf! ;D

Bruce

5. A day in the shop without the smell of Bondo is just plain boring.
    I did not know it was beer Tuesday.

6. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

Bondo In the morning!!

7. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Speaking of meatloaf. LOL :D I concur with Bruce. I don't think she will kill you for the bondo smell but for molding her meatloaf, yeah she's going to kill you for sure. LOL Maybe you can save it by using some WW paint on it. ;)

8. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

by the way what were you molding.

9. RTF

RTF Active Member

Never have given it a thought. Been working with it for years. Keyword "exhaust fan"

10. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I would love to use polymers intsead of bondo/resin Paul but the cost difference is way out of whack for me. I get my bondo for $15 a gal. and my resin for $28. So 2 gals of material for $43 compared to the cost of about the same amounts of the polymers is hard to justify.

11. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I was no more than 24" from my exhaust fan, a big one.

It's a fish!

Gus the 3066 was a sample Scott sent me. It is a formula he doctored up for Trashfish to imitate bondo, without the nauseating fumes, of coarse. I will see what it runs for a comparable amount.

Randy your mind starts pretty early,lol.

12. Your mold kind of reminds me of Madonna.

13. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Looks like the chunk of Michael Jackson's nose that was removed!

There ain't nothing you can do about bondo fumes outside of wearing a respirator. AND, continue wearing that respirator for hours after you're done. That stink lingers. I don't mind it THAT much - you get a pretty good buzz from it! But, my wife can walk in the door upstairs and she'll let me know if I even LOOKED at the can of bondo. She's really sensitive. Bad headaches from the stuff. I don't get headaches from that, but if I spray a little Triple Thick inside I'll have a head pounder within minutes. Same with the wife. TT is BAD too!!!!

14. I hear ya Paul. Once you start using things like the IP product or Plasti Paste that I use, you never want to go back. Styrene STINKS!!!!!!!

15. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Thats not a bondo job, this is a bondo job.
    I tried to name our last dog Bondo but my wife would't go for it. Thought it would be a great dogs name.

Attached Files:

16. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Toluene and styrene both suck!

For the additional cost of about $35 compared to what Gus pays for his bondo / resin , I'll go with the IE 3066 without a second thought. Anything that smells that bad has to be doing some damage.

PB

I can't blame my hearing loss on the stuff as I have never used too much.

.................Therefore, both toluene- and styrene-induced hearing losses are caused by tissue intoxication rather than by fluid contamination. It is proposed that the outer sulcus is used as an intoxication route to reach the organ of Corti.

17. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Whew, Almost double the cost? I don't think I can take that much of a hit. The smell sux for sure.

18. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Oh, I have a 24" male Steelhead in the freezer Paul. He might be bigger than you are looking for. 4-5 lbs maybe. I am heading back up this week. I will keep a few smaller ones.

19. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

2005 hospital bill for pheumonia cost me almost $20,000. after seeing the x-rays Dr. asked over and over again what chemicals I work with.
    I am gonna pay the extra as soon as I get the ordering info.

20. Speaking of tissue intoxication, ain"t it Tuesday????