1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a locked set.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by whitetail94, Apr 15, 2011.

1. whitetail94

whitetail94 New Member

I have a customer that is turkey hunting in Kansas and yesterday he found a set of locked skulls. I know that there will be alot of form modifications and I have him talked into doing a pedestal mount. He is wanting an estimate on the price of the mount, so my question is, how much extra time do you think I need to figure in for modifications?

If anyone has pictures of mounts that you have done like this please feel free to share them.

I know my basic price for pedestals mounts including replacement capes, I'm just trying to get a rough idea on the extra shop hours.

Thanks in advance.

Michael L

2. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

The set I did, I had about 12 hrs of form alterations. this is above the normal from prep. U will probably have an additional 2-3hrs of just studying the pose and plan before starting. A safe bet is around 15hrs. at your shop rate. just my opinion.

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Michael, Ive done quite a few sets, and they always run over $2500 at least. Two heads, many alterations as a custom mount, plus pedestal, plus attachments plus misc extras like open mouths, the time it takes to do everything together because TRUE locks are normally not "unlocked" at least serious collectors like that. Some locks unlock once theres no muzzle/skull in the way. These will need replacement capes too. Id guess youll be at $3000 easily to do a good custom one of a kind mount.

Damn I wish I turkey hunted where big bucks go to lock...lol. ;)

4. Come on over Bill,there are some real nice bucks over here in the Adirondacks.

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Michael, here's one I did several years ago. The picture isn't very good, but thought you might could use some ideas. I started with the Coombs fighting buck manikins and altered from there.

[​IMG]

6. Awesome mount do you have any better pictures of it.

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

7. x2 antlerman

8. whitetail94

whitetail94 New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. Tim that's and awesome mount. This is a new customer as I have only mounted 2 for his family so far. Im waiting on pictures from him. He said one is around 150" and the other is probably 170". The one I mounted for him this season was 173" and his uncles last year was in the 190's.

Thanks again everyone, and keep some ideas and pictures coming.

Michael L.

9. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I found some better pictures. I will try to get one posted.

Thanks for the comments. It did pull at second and third in masters, so it could have been better. LOL