1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stretching Capes with Innertube

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Head Hunter, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Head Hunter

Head Hunter Member

A question for those who have done this...Do you turn the cape hair side out or skin side out before inserting the tube, and do you put the tube in a garbage sack before putting it in the skin? -Thanks in advance!

2. cwt

cwt Active Member

I have seen it done with a basket ball and it has already been tanned and turned right side out

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I do it hair side in with no bag on a tanned cape, but I just started doing it after having some trouble on one or two mounts. Different people probably do it differently.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

boarhunter, you're risking your hide. The hair inside could be pulled by the rubber. The hide outside dries quickly. Turn it hair side out and the tube will keep the skin moist and the hide stretched out.

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Thanks George. I thought I had read on here to do it that way, but probably read it wrong. It's tanned already, but I won't take any more chances. I'll do it hair side out from now on.

6. I tried George's tip and it sure makes putting the cape on much easier. I prep my hide, put tube in, inflate, put in bag and let it set overnight. Get yourself the tool for removing the stem, it makes deflating the intertube much easier.