1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just watched Mounted in Alaska

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Shawn73, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

How is it possible to mount the skin on a competition mount the day before the competition. ???

2. Brian

Brian Active Member

making the show seem dumb right? im losing respect for the show. but its still entertaining!

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

yep keeps me watching though. I think that sam is a little full of him self ;)

4. It's hard enough to get a piece done in 2 weeks, 2 days no way

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Me too.

6. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Yeah, the 2 and 3 day turnaround skits are gonna cause us ALL problems with the public. ::)

7. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Thus the honorable mention on the leopard and a third on the stag.
    I do like to watch this show, even with the drama scripted in.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm assuming SOME of you know this already, but a fresh mount cannot be entered into an NTA sanctioned event. It is a "fatal flaw" and will not be scored. NEXT is that "honorable mentions" are only given at state level shows. I seriously doubt it got HM as that particular ribbon didn't match the size and shape of the others awarded which it should have. And FINALLY, this wasn't an NTA show per se. It is the Alaska Chapter of SCI.

RJ Simington was FOS as well. You dont have to dock a whole point off anything. You can deduct a fraction of a point or up to 10 in some categories. I understand his scoring of the leopard, but to suggest repairs of natural damage is a bit presumptious IF the taxidermist had reference pictures available. I don't know of anyone who'd have even entered a ratty assed looking leopard like that to begin with.

The show is STILL exceptional. WE know the phony parts, but many of you can learn a helluva lot in watching it. The altering of that Lord Derby, casting rocks, and dealing with customers who are ash holes.

9. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Totally agree George,
    It reminded me of a piece,I judged (somewhere) and when checking the depth of the ears, my finger came out with wet glue and clay!
    The competitor explained that the hunidity would not let this mount dry! Whatever!

The NTA score sheet is kinda weird, but like you say, I don't take a "point" off for this or for that. It's either a yellow,a red or a blue. Is it a high red, or a low blue?

And if I didn't mention it before, I love watching this show!

10. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

The show is entertaining, and it's helpful to view it as such. We know what parts were unrealistic. ;)

I was lucky enough to earn some first and second place ribbons at that show, and found RJ to be a very helpful judge (and mentor). Whenever I compete, I always stick around after the judging is completed to get feedback from the judge. RJ was very thorough, and gave great feedback on ways to improve. For me, the best thing about entering competitions is having a highly-experienced professional provide honest and constructive feedback on my work. I can learn a great deal from a 10-minute critique. That's a great way to improve your competency level. Unfortunately, some folks let their ego get in the way of their professional development, and prefer to complain about the judging instead of listening and learning.

Looking forward to next week's "drama" :eek:

11. trophy mtn.

trophy mtn. find us on FB (trophy mountain taxidermy).

if you are refering to my bear that you juged in lewiston Id. it was due to the shotty conditions in the shop i was in at the time where the rain flowed under the doors into the crappy metal building. the whole mount was dry all but inside the ears. and yes it should have been DQ'ed so i could compete it this year at the Id comp,. even though i won the mckenzie award for best large lifesize.this bear would have taken the show for sure and you said so yourself if the ears werent wet. well to let you in on the recent awards it has brought, please visit the UTA website and see. thanks, but you might want to be carefull in what you say. someone might see it on here.. Whatever!! lol..

12. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

It's all about ratings, drama drama drama makes them the money.

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I didn't see much drama. I saw stress. lol

14. Drama was when the customer came in and changed the right to left on the Lord Derby
    and Aaron threw the rag across the room, which was staged, then he came out with another
    form they had there.
    Fun to watch, me and wifey just look at each other on the staged parts. LOL

15. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

I'll stick with ratings, got to keep the viewers interested with a little drama B.S and staging or there won't be a show!!

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

trophy mtn, why should timberland "watch what he's saying". YOU are the one who outed yourself and from your response I sense you still have a burr under your saddle. Oh well. Taxidermy Competition RULES plainly state that ALL MOUNTS must be completely dry and, if not, will be given a "fatal flaw" and not scored. What part of that is so difficult to understand. A wet mount, as any taxidermist knows, always tends to look "better" before all the shrinkage is complete. To try and compete with others who played by the rules and rationalizing to "get over" on them isn't exactly laudatory.

As for RJ, he's an EXCEPTIONAL taxidermist. (Bob commented earlier on the size of his hat. RJ is a BIG man and if he'd worn a small hat, it would have looked goofy.) And someone commented on "judging in front of the competitor". Didn't happen. What you saw was RJ giving a critique AFTER the scores had been decided. That's just more theatrics on the part of the producer.

It still amazes me the number of you who don't "get it". As Queenie points out, do you REALLY think what we do is that interesting to the MAJORITY OF VIEWERS for this program. If you expect to see all 15 editions, you'd damned well better HOPE they keep it interesting enough that you pinheads get the chance. Hell, I'd bet most of you who buy a WASCO DVD sit and bypass parts. Admit it.

For the first time in the history of this industry, what we do has been sanitized for public consumption and presented in a tasteful yet interesting format that omits the skinning out of a roadkilled fox that laid in the sun for a few hours. And you guys nitpick. I've said for years, "We eat our young." Just proves my point.

17. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    It was the Red Stag ... Pay closer attention Grasshopper! ;)

John.

18. bmxkid313

bmxkid313 New Member

i have never personally done a mount and i have only been on here for a couple of few weeks but i seen that a lot of the stuff was fake, the only one i picked up that wasn't pointed out on here was going back out to get more rocks because it didn't work. if he fallowed the directions right like he claimed oh so many times to have done it would have worked fine.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The customer changing his mind was scripted,, that is why they had two forms on hand to begin with. If you can't tell,, some of these customers are over acting.

A test with one rock first would have been the wise thing to do,, but as George would say, the gasoline ass kid thought he knew it all about casting rubber.

20. gab

gab Active Member

don't lump that stag in with the leopard.that stag was a nice piece.if i were able to pull a customers piece one of my guys did off the wall and get a third on a commercial piece,I'd be ecstatic.
    i think theres alot of guys like sam that have failed to evolve with the industry.Talented,but need to admit that theres always a way to learn and improve.liked the Eland though.