1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

W.I.P. ready for Back Burner

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Glen Conley, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

This is where I am at with a 7 x 18 right turn as of this morning. The neck was built with Magic-Sculpt over urethane foam. The next step for this one will be to use body filler over the Magic-Sculpt. That will have me real close to smooth and even.

For those that don't know what's going on, this is a sculpture being worked up for a mold that will produce 7 x 18 semi-uprights in urethane foam for use as a form. I have several pieces that are at the same stage of developement. Pretty soon I'll start pulling those out to finish and then make molds of.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      27.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Git-r done,, as Larry would say.

3. I think it's looking good Glen, would definitely try one once you get them into production. I have a use for them here with these southern deer. How is the swell or D measurement in relation to the B measurement? On these southern deer it always seems that most forms are on the big side in that area when all else fits nicely.

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Looks good Glen.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Someone asked me just yesterday, "Where is that sumbeech?" I told him you were probably getting your line of forms together.

I have to say I love that nose especially. The nares don't look like it's been snorting coke. I love the detailing.

6. Glen Conley

I should have that issue well under control. There's a lot of factors that influence that area. It's hard to tell if the human factor involved is sculptor's laziness or ignorance.

To be more precise with my way of doing things, the first neck measurement is right behind the ears, the second is over the flare of the wing atlas, or about 3" down. The second measurement will be 2" greater than the first. So mine will read like this, 7 x 18 x 20. Those measurement proportions will allow a fit. The "LOOK" is going to come from the form, and the taxidermist's finish work.

7. Glen Conley

Thank ya, Antlerman! The deer I'm working on that would fit up with your reproduction antlers will have a very similar look except the bigger frame look is obvious.

8. Glen Conley

Thank ya, Uncle George! You wouldn't believe how many different deer that I looked at trying to find those distorted noses. I struck out. Probably the guys that sculpted with flared nostrils also sculpted in whippy-dips.

9. Glen Conley

For those that came here to learn, but wasn't around three years ago, here's a thread we had running that covered a lot of ground. There's currently 42 pages, and there has been over 30,000 views. A lot of stuff is covered here that will help your understanding of anatomy.

Aren't most deer forms incorrect at the base of the skull???
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,91719.0.html

10. Glen Conley

There's still lots of room left for debating and illustrating this section of the head and neck.

Now listen up. The mount was done by Cuzzin' Ken Bauman on a REAL DEER FORM. It's a STRAIGHT and is a 6 3/4 x 16. Look close. The 7 x 18 pictured was grown from the smaller form. When all your parts and pieces are in the right place, magic can happen.

Something that's hard on a taxidermist is when the circumference of the back of the head, and the circumference of the neck at the point of union is out of whack. Now why doesn't this thing go, all the measurements are the same? (I might point out that the "fit" problems have not been any kind of problems so far.)

Attached Files: