1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do you clean your fish mounts?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 7-Point, Apr 22, 2011.

1. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I usually dust them, but was wondering if you can use any type of cleaner on them. I use Windex on a cloth for deer and stuff but am afraid it might ruin a paint job? And can it hurt skin on skin mounted fish?

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Cans of compressed air are good for initial, quick cleans. Then, a swiffer actually works very well and is fast. Actually, I don't even bother with air anymore on my mounts. But, (with others that finish their fish differently) any cloth or swiffer, etc. can catch the scales and can be a pain to clean. I don't have that problem. In these cases, compressed air works great. Be careful with Windex - it can eat the paint. I use it SOMETIMES cleaning old mounts, but I dilute it with water and I spray it on a soft cloth and TEST the backside first. Windex and water can certainly brighten up an old mount, but you do need to be careful...

3. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

I dust them with a swiffer.

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Keep them dusted with one of those fuzzy dusters....if the dust is really heavy plain water sprayed on a soft rag,,,like a diaper.

5. I wouldn't recommend any cleaner on fish. We take ours outside to the hose and hold them by the tail, a little dish soap (dawn) and spray downward with the hose then use a paper towl to dry. this will help if it the dust is caked on. for everything else we an old fashioned feather duster :)

6. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I could see this for a replica but not for a skin mount

I just spray pledge multi surface lightly on a paper towel and wipe top to bottom then head to tail. But I don't have fish as big as cars on the wall either :)

7. oh...I missed that part. lol. sorry :)