1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

And away we go............. the 20 something point buck

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Apr 22, 2011.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

This is the 20 something point I wanted to start mounting this morning but now it's 3:00 and I'm finally going (slowly). Way too many distractions today but I'll get a start.

Now about this mount. I get about 15 mounts a year from a rancher. They are for the owners family, clients, etc. I also get lifesize, etc.. Now here is the deal. I have never met ANY of these people I do the mounts for year after year. I started doing their work years ago and a "trust" has evolved such as this deer here. This is a once in a lifetime deer and I have absolutely no instructions on pose, habitat, NOTHING. I have a $1,500 budget on this one and it is up to me to simply give back a mount that he will like and feel is worth $1,500 (no pressure ;) )

It is a south Texas deer so I am going with a simple habitat, topped off with driftwood. The driftwood is tumbled, man aged so it is sturdy enough to hold the 1/2 inch threaded rod I am using as a pedestal attachment. No male/female adapters are necessary on this. I will scallop the regular wall form in hopes of making it an acceptable pedestal. If it looks like crap, break it and start over.....it's just that simple.

I will rock that and embed a custom plate I had made. On the license the mans name is on there, but I chose not to use that because he may have went by a shorter version or used a middle name. I simply took a Texas theme, the ranch and date and had my printer make that. I also had an expendable one made of exact duplicity which I will use to embed in the rock, pull out, let dry and then the other one will slip right in the perfect depression and look embedded, not simply stuck on top.

I will then take the rock mix and duplicate small rocks in the same color (which will be scattered in the habitat) as the backing to bring cohesion between the 2.

Now, that is my plan....but I bet it will change as i start. Never lay out a plan start to finish. If you have a stopping point your mind will cease in it's creativity....always leave your finish open.

I got the base finished by my cabinet maker and the plaque for the back literally in the last hour before they both closed for good Friday (first disaster avoided :) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2 plates I had made for this job, one just for use in the rock mix embedding and one for the final product

[​IMG]

1/2 inch thread 18" into the form. Trust me, THAT IS STABLE!! :)

[​IMG]

test fitting tumbled driftwood.......I have screwed up 3 $15 pieces looking for one I like LMAO
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got 2 foxes in to mount in the middle of my driftwood tests! ;D

[​IMG]

found one i'm kinda happy with....cut, sand and then airbrush the color back to its natural state

[​IMG]

Start with white and go from there
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark pedestal top for wood. make a simple habitat and then I'll start on the form.....................
    [​IMG]

2. Don't stop now Mike,looking good so far !!

3. miker

miker Member

OHIO

4. aspenangler@hotmail.com

[email protected] B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

marking - looking forward to watching the progress!

5. michael p.

Mix up some wood glue and thin with water and put 2 quick coats of bottom habitat on....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a customer/friend and his girlfriend come in to pick up a mount and chat. In my shop if you chat you work...so I got some help :)

Make sure you are pretty level.....you will paddle bit out the sockets later for anymore tweaking
    [​IMG]

Finish half descent prep work and clean excess. CLEAN AS YOU GO!!
    [​IMG]

Wax cardboard strips
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screw around entire perimeter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mix foam and pour around edges
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this piece will have an inset background which will allow me to use it regularly on the mounting stand. If I was not and had to work on the back more I would foam a wooden block into the side.

6. michael p.

Ohhh almost forgot!!! BEFORE your foam hardens spray it down with laquer thinner!! You will hear it start to snap, crackle, pop and it will come out rough surfaced allowing your rock mix to stick to it without sanding. This is a must or you will have slick surfaces and ALOT of prepping and sanding!! This cuts out 20 minutes of work!

[​IMG]

7. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

marking

8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Spray faster! It looks like the thinner is melting the spray bottle.

Oh..and MARKING!

9. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Dang..... marking

10. michael p.

Got the antlers set. Will recheck the position in the morning. From the front they look set too high but from the side the angle looks just like the deer. I'm gonna let it go till tomorrow. I am extremely pleased with the foam pour, the slight side scallops came out just right, not even a cut for adjustment and the depth is perfect :)

I'll mess with it when I come in 2morrow morning....I'll leave it for 2night :) Not bad progress for 3 hours that were constantlt interupted by customers, the phone and a crazt screaming electrician hanging more lights in the showroom :)

Will recheck angle in the morning..
    [​IMG]

love the back
    [​IMG]

perfect slight scallop from the side
    [​IMG]

looks good from the front but the forwardness angle of the antlers are bugging me.....I think they are right but my mind says they are wrong...it's probably just because they are abnormal and my mind keeps saying to "lay them back".....thing is though, it's good to be worried about things like that we tend to take for granted. Especially in this case. they have to be set just right or the entire mount is ruined.....my eyes hurt, I quit! LOL

[​IMG]

Oh....and lets not forget the crazy screaming electrician :)
    [​IMG]

It was a good day in the shop even with the hecticness of this morning and all the interuptions this afternoon. Mommas out of town fishing so it's time to go home and have some "me" time LMAO!! Good bye

Laquer thinner will not melt a windex bottle

11. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

cool so far.

12. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Looks nice mike

13. Hoosiertaxman

Hoosiertaxman Papa's Pride & Joy

Marking........Looking good Michael

14. bonhed

bonhed Click, Click......Boom!

like it!!!

15. Brandon M.

Brandon M. New Member

I like it also, can't wait to see tomorrows progress.

16. WFT

WFT New Member

Thats going to be one of the best "187 inch non-typ" I have ever seen mounted before. Really makes me want to sit and drink a Dr. PEPPER and look at those pics again and again!!! Know what I mean Michael....great job

17. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

awesome so far cant wait till tomorrow ur woman is gone no interuptions now get back to work. lol ;D

18. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Mike,

You are dead on.....even though you're tired ;D

I'd agree perhaps those antlers are set high? Maybe just a smidge...

Love this piece, and sharing it with us. It makes me want to do the same.

Kind regards!

Jim

19. WFT

WFT New Member

noticed that you said you thought the antlers were set a little forward but they look dead on to me. I was looking on your other post at the pic where the deer was completely skinned just head and antler photo may look it because of the upright mannikin. I wouldn't change it. Good job