1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

And away we go............. the 20 something point buck

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Apr 22, 2011.

1. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the second set of pictures, MP. After looking at the one that shows the skull from the side, I think the antlers appear to be set about right. If they are too far forward then it is only by a miniscule amount.

Now .... when is this show going to get started?? *taps foot*

2. Funny stuff right there ... LOL!

3. vadeerhunter

vadeerhunter New Member

8)

4. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

mark...

5. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

About as bad as a soap, it may be monday before we get to see what REALLY is going to happen. Me time, barbeque, then back to the show LOL

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

No barbecure, wound up getting a cheeseburger & cake from the church :)

[​IMG]

Ok, let's get this deer done :p First things first. I test fitted the hide and it will hold closed without even pinning it. It actually fits perfect on this 24" 9600, BUT..........
    [​IMG]

There is something I do not like. It has a real high brisket button that is natural. Natural or not, it looks like crap. This is where Taxidermist's differ. Many will say (and they are correct) "leave it, that's how it is" and many will say "and they are correct also" "manipulate the skin and taxi it to as close to the area as possible" that is what I will do
    [​IMG]

I thought I would have to add a little swell to the neck but I do not. If I did I would have simply mixed up some mix and sculpted them in. I only added 2 things to the mannikin. 1st I added the veins. I always carve out the face vein but this one is at eye level so I want it to pop when the client is looking at it so I simply after carving them added a strip of hot glue on top. This will create a slightly larger bulge enhancing the feature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Secondly this is an old deer and just like people, their skin in areas will sag and become more noticeable in the lover jaw area. To do this I simply added critter clay. I added it now so that it will firm up till I mount it. Otherwise it is too mushy IMO to model.
    [​IMG]

Now i'm off to make the ears and reset the antlers. I decided to keep the antlers the way they were but I had left a screw under the bondo and could not find it so I had to tear them off :D

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I noticed he stopped by a church for a little confessional ???

Looking good bro. Gonna be a nice piece. Let them juices flow!

8. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

love it. looking forward to seeing more progress!

9. michael p.

Nah, for a cheese burger! I was waiting for lightning to strike!! :)

I live it when people ask "how much hidepaste???" or "it's expensive, can I just use it in certain areas???". LMAO! This is how much I use on the body

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the area to be rocked also

[​IMG]

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Did you shove a milkjug up that buck's nose?

11. michael p.

ALWAYS!!!

I am bassakwards compared to most, I put my hide on and then sculpt my eyes, brows, etc.. I always mush the clay so this is just how I do it. Now I'll glue up the face and start setting everything.

I would like to thank Uncle Harley for taking the initiative in making those reflective eyes!! They will be a nice surprise to the
    client :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I trimmed off some of the excess hide.....NO TUCKING, just good glue and it will stay where you put it. Doesnt even need to be carded
    [​IMG]

12. DOUG H

DOUG H Member

Can,t friggan wait ;D

13. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

That rack was crazy looking laying in your shop, it's much more impressive setting on that manikin.

14. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqPcdVmz5BQ

15. lets all go to the lobby.........

16. Frick! It took me less time to mount up a lifesize wolf today than Michael P and his buck LOL. Just Foolin!! Nice work.

17. michael p.

Ugh!!! Had to go to Wal Mart, ran out of Spiderwire!! 30 minute delay :)

18. michael p.

Wet set, i'll set the left one (deers right) and then rock this thing real quick. We'll let it dry overnight, adjust in the morning, set it by the window and finish Tuesday :) Be back in an hour :)

[​IMG]

19. michael p.

Well I got a bunch mire pics but I wanna shower and go shake my ass on the dance floor somewhere, I'll post them tonight when I get home or tomorrow

20. kdogg_4

kdogg_4 Member

marking.. Last night I came in at 2 with a 10 and woke up at 10 with a 2!!!