1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A stupid question of sorts

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by EA, Apr 22, 2011.

1. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Our Fishing Club has teamed up with our Local Parks and Recreation Authority to raise money for both our organizations. In the past we have held a couple Night at the Races that were very successful, but we're looking for something else too..

We thought about an Outdoor Show of sorts, and invite those in the industry to set up booths, Raffle off some fishing and hunting stuff,etc.. I'd like to invite some of the local Taxidermists to set up a booth.

My question to those who may have done this before..Was it worth your time ?? Before I approach anyone,and ask them to drag their mounts all over creation, is this something that has been successful for you in the past ? I realize there are a lot of variables, thats where the "stupid question" comes in. :D I just don't want to waste anyone's time,if it has been a proven dud in the past.

Any suggestions, pros or cons ?

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I know of bird taxidermists who set up booths at Ducks Unlimited banquets and it has helped them out.
    I don't see why this would be any different.

3. Christie

Christie Instructor, Consultant & Speaker

A booth should always be worth someones time. If it wasn't, they weren't doing it right, and that's their problem, not yours. If you're providing the opportunity for a small business to get in front of people, you should have everyone you talk to taking you up on the offer. Again, if they don't, that's their issue. The key things someone is going to want to know from you are: how many people are you expecting, what type of people are you expecting, where is this being advertised, how much booth space are they going to have, when can they set up, when is it taking place, and who else is coming. If you can get people through the door and circulating, the taxidermists have to take responsibility from there.

4. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob, And Christie..

I'd like to include some tackle shops. We have one fella who is big into Trout Unlimited and would demonstrate some fly tying ideas..A couple local outfitters. Some fishing lure makers. I think it may be something that could work. Offer Free Space and just charge at the door..

I know it's a hassle to haul ,set-up, tear down, but it would be a chance to showcase their business to a larger audience than they would normally reach. I would think more effective than dropping some business cards somewhere. One guy is in the local Walmart, but after you see the mounts a time or two, they fade into the background..I couldn't even tell you for sure who's work is in there.

We have a large sporting community here. And an Old High School free for the use..The Gymnasium would be our space, possibly some outdoor areas if the weather would permit.

Just Something we are kicking around. I think I'm going to push for it.

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

It's definitely worth it. We have a D.U. dinner/auction coming up in Sept. I plan on going and setting something up.
    Even if I only get a few mounts out of the deal, my name gets out there and as long as I do good :D word of mouth kicks in and gets me more work.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bob, your DU folks obviously are much different from most and certainly haven't been "instructed" by "nationa" yet I presume. DU is notorious for NEVER wanting anyone stealing their thunder. I founded a Delaware Wildlife Exposition a few years back. They promised to hold their DU Greenwings event in conjunction with the Expo - a totally non-profit venture to bring all the outdoor groups together. It was all a go on Thursday night. On Friday, we couldn't find anyone. On Saturday, we had 250 kids show up to join the Greenwings. NO DU. When I finally found someone at noon, I was told that "national" had informed them to "cease and desist" any implications that they were a part of the Expo. No if you know where to find whale crap, DU fits about 50 feet lower than that for me. The Expo went out and spent $500 dollars that other had earned just so the kids wouldn't be stood up. To hell with DU

Mike, just don't count on any of the big national organizations. You see what DU did to us and the Turkey Federation is pretty close to that. QDMA has no agenda and would likely be delighted to assist you. It should work out great as an opportunity for the other folks looking to get their names out to join in.

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

That's too bad George. I've herd nothing but good things about DU from other taxidermists. I was actually invited to go to the one in Sept. by a customer.
    Hopefully things go different for me, but I can understand why you feel the way you do.

8. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Actually George....I attend 2 of the bigger DU Banquets every year..I either donate a gift certificate, or a game farm mount for their live auction..It has brought several new clients in..A crap ton? No, but it has made it worth it...Last night i had one that i put together an Apricot Wood Duck for them for the live auction...Hell, they comped me 2 all you can eat prime rib dinner tickets...I love prime rib..lol

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Shucks....I thought you said something about "a question about stupid shorts"! I thought I could help :)

10. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Awe, mike they're not stupid shorts, they're just.................Ok, they're stupid shorts.. :D

11. gab

gab Active Member

I've shown at dinky local shows,bass pro shows,SCI shows and even one national NRA show.I've picked up at least one client that i still have today every time,even from the smallest show.It's a very residual thing,you may not know til 2 years later you did any good.

12. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I wasnt real pleased with the turkey federation thing I donated a mount to... Literally I was not even invited to attend, no free dinner or even a peek into the gathering.. unless I wanted to pay the 150.00 to attend...
    They took one of my mounts, to show my work, and raffled off a certificate for a deer mount... It went for 600.00 all of which went directly to the Turkey federation... Youd think they could have given a complimentary dinner ticket or something.. nope. not even a thank you..

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

One rule that God made has always paid off ,, "you reep what you sew". Plant a lot of seeds, some of them will grow.

14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Mr T...that verse must be in the same book of the Bible as "No good deed goes unpunished", LOL!!! I don't jump up and down about setting up a booth at every invitation. There are generally 3 days of my life invested in each "Booth Day". The day before is spent in preparation, the day "of" is spent in misery, and the day after is spent in recovery! I do a couple per year, and as I age, they take more of a toll on me than I want. In context, they are generally good for business....even at mediocre events.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If you want to catch fish, you got to have a line in the water, preferably where there are fish, and you never know when you will get a bite. But you got to go to catch fish.

16. Christie

Christie Instructor, Consultant & Speaker

And you have to put a hook on the line. And preferably something appetizing on the hook. Some people show up with only the rod and MAYBE the line.

17. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

Every time I have set a booth up I was glad I did got lots of business