1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Only in the taxidermy business........

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by *, Apr 22, 2011.

1. BEAVERS

BEAVERS New Member

Oh quit whining ROOSTER.......... J kiddin. lol

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

gab, not being a taxidermist, you probably don't understand the concept that most insults me. Russell Knight never did one thing to anyone on here that I'm aware of. He was simply approached by a media outlet and agreed to their being in his shop while maintaining complete control of what was put on TV. Russell then immediately became public fodder. Much like the NRA today, it's easy to ridicule the NRA until you start putting faces on those names. Russell did nothing to incite anyone but allow the media to film and edit his operation as they saw fit. Now the peanut gallery can't contain themselves every week to come on here and start half a dozen posts picking how much better and how much greater they are than Russell. He's an easy target, especially since he doesn't fight back. I know he and his people read this, and in SPITE of the total bullship being said, only he seems to be professional enough to just sit there and take it. That's "class" that a few around here could learn from.

And sure, I tell it like it is, but it's either issues I was asked about, or something someone said in order to look down his nose at someone. Let me give you an example:

Right after the era of texturing noses and painting them colors instead of black, one of my best customers brought me a bruiser. I tried the new technique and it looked good. When he picked it up, he was overjoyed in how it looked. A week later he calls and says, "Can you paint my nose black?" I asked why and he said he'd taken his mount to a banquet where it was shown with other deer. He said everyone commented on his "queer deer with the rainbow nose" and he'd like it changed. He brought it in and I painted it black. The next year his wife shot a bruiser and he brought it in. I wrote on the workorder "paint nose black". He said, "NO. Paint it like you did mine last year. I see what you did was correct and those guys who convinced me to change it are just wrong. In fact, will you repaint my other deer." Now THAT'S what happens when people start running their mouths. I was a bit miffed that discussions about me had taken place without me having any opportunity to explain the situation.

But suddenly, ONE OF US no longer deserves the respect we'd think about badmouthing any of our peers. You run a pretty large operation I'm told. How would YOU feel were you put into the situation Russell finds himself? Would YOU be able to sit and watch this horsespit without stirking back? Well, I think it goes to character and though we've never met, I'm very impressed by Russell's fortitude. I know I couldn't do what he's done. Words are like wayward chickens, those that don't get eaten by the fox eventually have to come home to roost.

3. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

Fantastic post!

4. Nyati

Nyati I love tahr huntin

Great post Dennis. I'm looking forward to the show coming out on DVD.

5. Thanks for saying what NEEDED to be said Dennis!!

6. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Great post Dennis , it's almost like everybody can't wait to see every week's show to pick it apart.

7. Great post Dennis, you hit the nail on the head, they are very talented taxidermist and think Knights taxidermy represents us well ...... I had three visitors yesterday.

8. EmG

EmG New Member

I agree, I personally like the show.. A majority of people are still under the impression that taxidermists "stuff" dead things with newspaper or sawdust or whatever. This show reveals some of what actually happens in a taxidermy shop to people who would most likely have never researched it on their own.

My mom owns a hair salon, and since these shows started more of her clients have been mentioning the show and suggesting that she tell me to watch it. More people are asking me what actually happens in taxidermy, instead of just assuming we are "stuffing" dead things. Not only that, a couple of young kids ( a girl and two little boys) both asked to see what taxidermy mounts I had and showed interest in trying it on their own in the furture, and asked if i would help them sometime. I think this is a great oppertunity for the general public to learn what taxidermy actually is (even if they get a more dramatic version).

As for clients asking for mounts done earlier, I don't think they will object too much if you explain that the show is basically Extreme House Makeover: taxidermy version. Who knows, maybe explaining the process to them a little may make them more interested in what really goes on in your shop. Most people have no idea what is involved in skinning, tanning, and mounting an animal or the time it takes to do it, so a little explanation can't hurt; just spark interest or at least educate. Everyone knows that they can't go into an auto shop and tell the owners to build them a motorcyle in less than a week, or bake and decorate them an 8 foot tall cake only a few hours before the party it is ordered for. Its "reality" Tv : )

9. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Dennis, you damn near gave me a heart attack! Thanks for the compliment. Sometimes trying to explain things and the importance of this show is like pissing in the wind. I know I'm getting it out there, but it keeps getting thrown back in my face! Yuck!!! Enjoy the show! Support the show! ;)

John.

10. Steven .B

Steven .B New Member

I like the show Russell Knight and his crew do a great job.. I have nothing bad to say about the show.. I'm not the the best in the Taxidermy field and I'm sure even the best have a bad day here and there...
    Some mounts just turn out better than others It doesn't mean they didn't give it 110% I hope they keep the show on..

11. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

There is very little on tv that I watch other than sports. I was so happy to hear a show about something I enjoy doing was on! I watch it every week (recorded) and hope they do another run next year, although I bet it's hard on Russ and his team to have the tv crew in there.

12. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

It's entertainment. It portrays taxidermists in a good light for a change.

13. When clients come in and start giving me grief about turn around time, I usually ask them to follow me to the other half of my shop that is storage , horn racks, freezers and my big cooler.. I ask them to take a gander at the racks and freezers and what's in the cooler. At that point I tell them that everything they see is in front of them and they are at the bottom of the list... That's why it takes 6-8 months to get your head back..
    Mr. Knight keep up the good work love the show.. Actually portrays us as artist and rather talented as opposed to a bunch of wierdos playing with and mutilating dead animals in a dark room somewhere..

14. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Well. I don't know what we are all supposed to do now. Sit here and grin? I went back and reread every post on this subject in all the different threads and I could not find ANYONE who didn't like the show! Many including myself didn't like some aspects but I would say it was unanimously liked. Some of the work sucked and I will be damed if I will sit here and pretend the naked emperor has clothes on just because someone else thinks this is the be all end all of taxidermy. In any industry when someone screws up they catch hell. You people know this!

What I did find was this; If you don't like this show and pray for its continuance you are, and I quote; " A Blonde," " a dumbass" "a pissant" "a pompass ass" "jealous" "a wannabe' "can't dress yourself" "stupid" and "an idiot! Now tell me WHO is cutting our noses off despite our faces?

But what really confuses me is where the heck were all the defenders when the other taxidermy show was TRULY being ripped to shreds on here by the VERY ones who don't want any negative opinions about Mounted in Alaska! And still is by the way! I would like this explained using some rational thought process! Seriously!

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Ron, you're like a trying to run away from a far. On one pose you're trying to play Prince Valiant saving Lady Godiva and saying "one person" is making a post last. Then here's that same smell on THIS thread telling us why your opinion should mean something to those of us with some professionalism left in us. You already shot your wad stretching the Sasquatch thread to 60 pages. Easter's over. Go preach someplace else.

16. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

17. have dogs will travel

have dogs will travel New Member

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama

At least I still can :p

19. WFT

WFT New Member

Im going to have to agree with Rick on this one. Just good entertainment.

20. It's not medication so much as CONSTIPATION!!