1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My New Project

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by TRAPPERGIRL, Apr 23, 2011.

1. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

Well This past week during one of the storms that have been rolling though here - our mini donkey decided that she was gonna have her baby - not in the barn but out in the rain and hail - and of course we lost the little one - so i decided that I am gonna try my hand at casting and carving a manikin and mounting up this little jenny . so I figured I may as well post some pictures as I go along and take Helpful Hints ;D from the crew on here ...
    so today spent taking measurements of every angle that I could think of and doing some tracings of the carcass..

She was a muddy mess so my first step was getting her dried up by toweling and a fan - then brushing out all the dried mud..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TRAPPERGIRL

And now I got to figure out what kind of pose I want for her

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TRAPPERGIRL

Finally finished with the skinning -- wow and I thought skinning out whitetail fawns was tough with the thin skin - this little ones hide was like tissue paper

[​IMG]

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

That is going to be awesome!! so sorry for your loss, but at the same time excited to see this progress/

5. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

This will be a very cool project. I'll be watching the progress!

6. TRAPPERGIRL

Thanks Guys ! Mini Donkeys carry their babies for 12-13 months so it was really hard losing this one. But it will be a cool project - first time in 25 years of doing taxidermy that I am even attempting anything like this ! just gotta figure out what I need to do and in what order :D And Michael P will need to give you a call want to ask you about your DP and Denatured tanning, at least i think that's what it was.

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Debbie, I know I may get slammed on this, but if I were you, I would use Krowtann. The last 2 pets I have done I used it and I know it is mainly a pickle, but that chit DOES have something else in it that locks hair like i've NEVER seen even with true formic

8. TRAPPERGIRL

Okay -- I pretty sure I still have some here -- I've heard alot of good too on Old Shavers Tru-Tan 1000 also.. I may have to send him a PM :D

9. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

Sorry for the loss! Sure is a pretty little thing. Good luck on the process!

10. Helltigress

Helltigress New Member

Sorry for the loss, but keeping an eye on your progress!

11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

can't wait to see it put together

12. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

I have the untanned skin and uncleaned head of one of those in one of my freezers, plus I removed the hooves to cast them. That was about 1995 LOL. I think I still have a baby llama skin in there too. The main body measurements for baby donkey are about the same as Reaseach Mannikin's newborn elk, so my plan was to cast the head to replace the elk calf head, and use my measurement chart I did up to alter the body and legs. The measurement chart is still around in the workshop, I think I saw it last year during my annual spring cleanup. I am due for this years annual clean up.

13. TRAPPERGIRL

Steph - I thought of doing that too - but I couldn't justify spending the $$ for the form, a couple of hundred plus shipping ::) - so I just figured a good time to try something new ;D

14. so pretty. sorry she had to die like that. 12 to 13 months! what was the momma thinking...

looking forward to seeing the progress.

15. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Looks like a fun project.

16. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

LOL about that elk calf form, well back then when RM's had their summer sale, that form was about 80.00 on sale. But yeah, now it's pretty high priced, so I kinda wish I had not had freezer space issues back then and could have kept the carcass.

17. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Please tell me you kept the carcass. ;)

18. TRAPPERGIRL

Sure did !

19. Sorry for the loss but Krotann would be the way to go, can't wait to see her finished