1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Very pleased w/ Andersons Whitetail Taxidermy School!!!

Discussion in 'Training' started by Jdewitt27, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Jdewitt27

Jdewitt27 New Member

This past week I attended Andersons Whitetail Taxidermy School in western NY. I couldn't be happier with the knowledge I came home with, as well as all the tools and supplies I got to bring home! I work full time, and personally I don't have the time or the money to go thru a full taxidermy course, so this week long course was perfect for me! We started out monday morning on measuring, cape cutting, and fleshing. Bill and Ed Anderson were great teachers and it was very personable. And very patient with shaky fleshers like me haha. We did everything hands on, setting the eyes, rebuilding the ears, splitting the lips, everything I needed to know with mounting a whitetail. Every question I had was answered, and by the end of the week I took home my very first whitetail mount that I did on my own. We covered everything from pickling and tanning to repairing the holes I made fleshing to the detail painting. I would highly recommend this course. If your from out of town, there is good lodging not too far away with everything you could need resturants wal-mart etc. I hated the week to be over with, but it was a great feeling walking away with the knowledge that Bill and Ed shared with us. They have a website whitetailtaxidermyschool.com, and if any of you have any specific questions just pm me and I will get back to you.

2. Bigbucklover69

Bigbucklover69 New Member

Hi, thanks for the info, im actually going to his school in a few weeks, its something i been wanting to do for years just never had the time or money to go threw with it. Now that i booked the class i am counting down the days to get there..

3. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

I also enjoyed their classes and came away with a trade that will be with me for a lifetime ! The one on one training they offer is bar none the best and well worth the little you pay to learn a trade like this ! If you think this is what you want to do for a past time or living you wont be sorry choosing Bill and Ed at Anderson's Whitetail Taxidermy School ! As stated above if you want to hear about the school form a student perspective please feel free to send me a p.m.

4. Bigbucklover69

I agree 100% with Bill,, i come home from work every day and look at the mount on my wall and smile,,knowing i created that with help from Anderson school is great.. Deff learned a ton and im so ready to do the next mount.. thanks alot Anderson, you deff turned my future in the right path..Was really good to meet you to Bill,, we will have to get together and do some ice fishing this winter...

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

What????? Ok never heard of them? Good luck

6. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Yesterday you couldn't spell taxydirmee and today u r one.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Just curious, do any of you feel ready to open a business after just one week of deer head class?

8. Bigbucklover69

If i had the room and tools to open a shot at this point for white tail,,yes i wld deff do it...

9. Randy Miller

I would think if you were running a school, you would know how to NOT pull the eyes back into a chinese attitude. Sheesh

10. Bigbucklover69

Pull the eyes back into a chinese attitude? no clue,, lost me

11. Randy Miller

I looked at the website. Improper eyeskin placement/anatomy must be a trademark of theirs. If you can't see it, it is no doubt due to how you were taught. Use reference!

12. Bigbucklover69

sorry you feel that way,, everyone to there own i guess.. I have 3 others on my wall done by tax longer then i been alive and i wld pay for mine b4 theres.. But like i said,, everyone to there own,, some people like deer to look perfect,, which in a hunters eye no deer are perfect...every deer is diff

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

This is no excuse to not press forward and always strive for prefection. Going into business after one deer head class is not going to give most hunters what they want. Being the best trained in your area will. Never stop learning, take even more classes, advanced classes are out there to help you be the best you can be. Customers are easy to satisfy, they are not a good measurement of your quality, when they say it looks great, they are just being nice to you and want their deer back.

14. Bigbucklover69

I deff agree and gonna do alot more of my own deer b4 i do customers, i done a few for friends just to do but wldnt open doors until im ready.. Got alot of dvds and gonna go to a few shows to learn diff techniques..But as we all know,,each deer is diff and each deer will be judged diff...if there is a 10000 taxidermist on this site,, each one will pick one thing wrong out with the next... i just dont think its necessary for some one to down put another persons school, deer, or mount.. Critique yes.. down grade no..

15. Randy Miller

100% T. Further, not only are customers not a good quality measurement, many times they don't know the difference. Which I find strange. Long before I ever thought about doing taxidermy, I had a head done. I didn't know ANYTHING about taxidermy, nor much about anatomy. AS I looked at different people's work, I could see some looked good, and some looked better! Did I know what the difference actually was? No. But Ron Bond got the job. (some here will know him) and to this day it was the right choice. So 69, do you want to be just OK, or is it possible that you aren't as aware as you might have thought? Food for thought.

16. Bigbucklover69

O i deff agree,, there is a tonnnnnn to learn and im sure after doing it 20-30 years i will still learn new things.. I actually looked at one mount i got on my wall from a guy like is said thats been doing it longer then i been alive i took the flashlight and checked its eyes for the heck of it and found one pupil touching the front and the other was in the center and to top it off they were 2 diff colored eyes :(... now from a distance you cldnt tell but with a light you could.. I wld love to have a teacher in my back pocket on every mount i do as diff questions will arise but thats where this page comes into hand.. :)

17. Randy Miller

See there 69, 2 days ago you thought you knew about gamehead mounting and today you recognise there is far more to it! Your mind is expanding, good for you! That attitude and desire will take your work farther than anything else. Good luck to you.