1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whos gotten hurt while doing any type of taxidermy work ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by donkmstr, Apr 24, 2011.

1. cut with knife

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. cut with scalpel

56 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. hurt while lifting /moving large species

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. scrapes/bruises

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. i thought maybe this would be an interesting poll and topic. ive seen alot of folks who had some pretty nice scars on there fingers in pictures here. just wondering whats the worst anyone aquired while doing some type of taxidermy work.. ive about knocked myself out while letting down a gambrel and the rope slip from my hand and hit me in the head from 12 feet high, several good cuts on a few fingers that required stitches, but after the first time getting stiched up, i now do it myself. ruptured a disc at L4 while struggling with a 1500 pound steer that needed to be caped and butchered.

2. Back in August I was carving foam for a fox and was carving in towards me, stupid me.

Well the knife slipped and I cut my thumb. I had a 5 sec delayed reaction before I ran to my sink and start bleeding all over the place. Mind you its 10 o' clock at night and it was just me and my brother that were home since my parents were away. He came into my room and help me get the damn cut under control. In the end I put gauze, bandages and electric tape around my thumb to get it to stop bleeding and put pressure on the cut. I probably would have need stitches or at least super glue but at the time I was in a panic. It was a pretty deep cut too, but didn't reach the bone at least. I can say also that I was brave for not passing out or even crying when it happened, but I was still freaking out over doing something so stupid in the first place.

Its been nearly a year and its healed over well, just a tiny scar left over from it. But man, I should have take picture of the blood all over my sink, looked like I killed something in my sink.

And I'm getting the chills from tell that story and I think my thumb is twitching.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I was helping a friend skin a hanging wild bore once, my scalpel slipped and I stabbed my friend in the side, actually, his kidney fell out, blood was everywhere, we were laughing so hard, he then took his knife and cut my kidney out, and we both laughed as we stood over our quivering kidneys on the floor,,, true story,,,

4. double shovel

double shovel SilverWillowTaxidermy

lots of cuts from knives. One wound on the knuckle from the fleshing machine. Been to the hospital once from a taxidermy related incedent.

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

my book will be coming out soon.

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

All of the above :D

7. You should probably have a choice of "cut on fleshing machine" as a choice on your poll. Too many cuts to type out the stories. Plus all of the chronic stuff like sore shoulders and back.

Bruce

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

How about "Drove a rattler fang into finger" :D
    I skinned one out yesterday and drove a fang right into the tip of my index finger :eek: It went numb instantly and then fell asleep. Today it feels like I hit it with a hammer :D

With me, if it can go wrong, IT WILL. I've driven wires in my hand, cut myself while skinning, and on and on. But it comes with the territory.

9. you know, i dont no how i didnt think of fleshing wheels, ive got a great scar thats a constint reminder of it. i know theres alot of ways to get hurt, just thought it would be something differ for folks to talk about and maybe bring us all to remember to slow down and be carefull. should be for some interesting reading i would think.

and mr.t , i love kidneys, was that the special for lunch that day ? :D

10. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Re: Re: whos gotten hurt while doing any type of taxidermy work ?

I've yet to do any type of taxi work without hurting myself. My injuries usually involve a scalpel to the hand. And my all time favorite is when you cut yourself through your latex glove without cutting the glove. Still not sure how that works.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Ran a big curved needle through my hand and I cut the side of my middle finger with the scalpel all the time. My back hurts all the time too.

12. All of us have. :p

13. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

EVERY MORNIG .......IT HURTS LOL.....MY BACK LOL :D

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It isn't taxidermy if you are not bleeding or swearing.

15. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Absolutely. If I ain't bleeding, I ain't working :D

16. What I hate the most, cause it happens to me the most, is sticking finger tips with sewing needles. Never that bad till the next couple days, hard to believe a little thing can be so sore. ::)

17. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    All the above and more, I'm always trying to do more, faster than I should and accidents happen. As I've gotten older I've learned to slow down and there is always tomorrow to do what does not get done today.
    My worst injury happed about 15 years ago when I stuck a 12 inch steak knife through my leg while carving on a bear form ( long Story ). That required surgey to repair sliced mucles.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If your setting in a chair, and drop your scalpel, move your feet! And don't try to catch it.

19. dakotabill

dakotabill Member

ouch gunner, I can remember countless tines in the mellon way to close to the eyes, nice scars from the fleshing machine. I think the worse were my two blood infections while working on raw bears. It started with a sore finger then forearm, mid afternoon it was in the elbow. Lucky my mother-in-law way at our house when I got home that evening. I told here what was happening and her being a nurse told me to take off my shirt. I lifted up my arm and there it was a red line running up the bottom of my arm into my arm pit. She rushed me off to the er where the doctor instantly gave me a shot because he said there was not time for pills. To close to the heart at this point. Lucky she was there or I would have tried to shake it off till the next day which probably would have ended up in the hospital. The second time it happened I didnt let it get past my wrist.

20. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

I reached across in front of my fleshing machine and created a new forarm flap.... I only made that mistake once :D