1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whos gotten hurt while doing any type of taxidermy work ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by donkmstr, Apr 24, 2011.

1. cut with knife

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. cut with scalpel

56 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. hurt while lifting /moving large species

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. scrapes/bruises

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Justice31

Justice31 New Member

I've stuck a modeling tool through my palm of my hand,removed part of the meat from my thumb with the round Knife,cut to the bone with an ulu fleshing and I don,t count the countless times the fingers get stuck,poked and nicked.I'd have to say the worst was just a nick I received fleshing a big horn. Infection set in and within 48 hours I was on in trovenus antibiotics with no signs of getting better a mass the size of a golfball in my armpit and the last Super antibiotic the doctors had.I was scheduled for amputation 8 hours later and I asked if I was going to be OK after my involuntary donation?He told me , "we are going to do the best we can."Well needless to say I WAS TERRIFIED! Long story short the morning of the scheduled procedure they took one last biopsy and found improvement and I made a full recovery!
    I ALWAYS wear my gloves now.

2. Gina

Gina New Member

I saw a gentleman break his hand once with a drill. It was brutal. Two guys were drilling through a base and the drill bound up, whipped around and hit one of them in the hand. I heard a *Snap* and sure enough it broke one of the bones in the palm of his hand, it was the forfinger bone in the palm. Looked really bad after an hour! :-[

3. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Aha I got another dumb move I almost forgot about. I was useing one of those 5 prong hide pullers and was really fight'n a cape , I was pulling towards me with it when all of a sudden it slipped and all five prongs were now pulling the hide on my chest instead lol :eek: .........I then proceeded to send out a few choice words if you can imagine :D

4. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Got 5 stitches on a finger from a scalpel while fleshing a bear paw that had been in a freezer for 13 years.

Dropped a scalpel, it stuck in the top of my foot,(no shoes) had to pull it out.

5. ive also on several occassions stuck my self pretty good with needles but wire has gotten me worse anytime,anyone ever hit themself in the head with a full blow with a 20 oz. eswing hammer ? i wont say how i did it but believe it or not ive managed to do it twice. had a concusion and blood squirted like a water hose running.

6. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

You should have put a all of the above so many time I forgot , and you forgot to mention fleshing machine.

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Knowing you it was all in the same day too :D

8. coon hunter

some times . I stuck Myself with a scalpel while ago . The other day I jab'ed A drift wood root in My eye ,while bending down to pick some thing up .

9. linder

linder New Member

Was at a deer cooler trying to rush and cape out some heads on the floor slipped stuck the knife through my pants leg and sock hitting what seemed to be a littel vein to embarrassed to say anything until boot filled up with blood, ended up with ten stitches.

10. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I had a customer call me Tuesday with a deer. His daughter shot her fist buck. A small 3 point and wanted a shoulder mount done and the back 1/2 tanned.

I knew from talking to him that she had shot it in the shoulder and busted the leg. When they were caping it out he was afraid of doing damage to the cape so he tubed the deer leaving the damaged shoulder in the cape, LOL. I told him no big deal I will pull it when you get here and you can take it back home with you.

So Wednesday evening (7:45pm) when him and his daughted brought it to the shop I got it all checked it and they picked out the pose. I got my scaple out and was showing them how and where to cut the leg when caping to free up the cape. Got the first leg opened up and was just getting done with the second one when it happened!

The scaple slipped and the blade went into my stomach. It took a second to register at first. When I looked down and the blade hadn't just fallen out. I ended up having to pull it out. I looked up at the guy and said

"I just stabbed myself".

He looks at me and laughs and say "what?", "How bad?".

I think he thought I was joking or had just cut myself.

I said, "I don't know, bad enought that the blade didn't fall out" I think I am going to have to put your deer in the freezer for now and go into the ER and get checked out.

He comes around the table and says. Hold on let me see it may not be that bad. So I lift my shirt enough fo him to loo at it and all he says is it doesn't look good.

I havn't been to the ER since moving to Wa so I had no clue where a hospital was. After a few minuted of discussing a location I remember that one of the neighbors in a nurse. So I lock up the house and the shop and drive over to the nurses house. She looks at it and than says she is driving my to the ER.

We get to the Er and go through all their BS paperwork. I get a room and to Doc on call comes in and says "You have got to be kidding me?" "You stabbed yourself skinning a deer?" Well lets have a look at it. He looks at it and says well it's at an angle. It's deep but be glad it was at an angle and you didn't go deep enough to hit a gut but we are going to flush it and staple the hole closed. With out numbing it! :eek:

[​IMG]

As I was leaving he told me to enjoy the deer meat. I said I won't be enjoying it because it is't mind. I am going out in the morning to try and fill my tag. He pretty much told me not the best idea I ever had and no hunting for a week. So didn't go hunting that morning I went out that evening. :chuckle:

When I got home around 11pm that night I went back to the shop and pulled the Deer head out of the freezer and finnished puling the shoulder, caping the head, fleashing, splitting, and salting the cape. I dont like to freeze entire heads if I don't have to.

11. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

ran a sowing needle under my nail on middle finger came out at middle knuckle , you talk about hurting the next day. it was so sore i couldn't even bend it a little bit

12. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

ran a sowing needle under my nail on middle finger came out at middle knuckle , you talk about hurting the next day. it was so sore i couldn't even bend it a little bit

13. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

sorry for the double but it hurt so bad i figured id tell it twice ;D

14. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Not enough items on the list!
    Speaking of which, I need to go change my dressing :D

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

X2 Not even an "all of the above".

16. The cuts , scrapes , pokes i don't pay attention to anymore just wrap electric tape around it and keep going.
    air stapler with one inch staple in inner thigh hushpupped to the crown feels nice. Let me make a note here that was to close for comfort to my most prized anatomy.
    worst that come to mind though and don't know really what happened. Had one of those deer with antlers like needles. deer brisket was on the floor i had it by the antlers about to put a panel on. don't know if i lifted it or i bent over but G2 went in at the bridge of my nose came out just at the eyebrow. Blood rushing like a waterfall into my eyes wasn't sure if i stuck it in my eye. Between all the blood and pain i fell to my knees about to throw up. Thinking i just put an eye out. Wife panics and run next door to get help. Shes good in a pinch ! All turned out well good black and blue the next few days and had to endure all the jokes . Who hit you , smarted of to the wife huh, etc etc
    Somethings tells me though that probable the best is yet to come. God help me !
    Glenn G

17. babowhunter

babowhunter Man,I love this stuff!!

Ouch!

18. coon hunter

As every one remembers Momma told you if you play with Sharp things your gonna get hurt .

19. Brian

Brian Active Member

i put about 75 porcupine quills through my pants into my leg about 2 months ago when i was pushing down on a porky mount on the edge of my workbench and it slipped off hitting my leg full force. hurt liked hell. pulling them sob'itchn quills out was not fun at all. i had my 3 year old with me and he got scared and ran for my dad. dad came down thinking i cut my leg off. was funny as hell. pulling my pants down hurt like hell when i had 30-40 quills pinning my pants to my leg.

20. Shaved the end of my finger off through the finger nail on a fleshing machine one time.. Countless cuts and stabs.. A good recent one... I was throwing an extra form up onto my top storage above my work room.. 14" up I threw the form and it hit the chain that open my vent in the top of the warehouse .. Form came straight back down and hit me
    Right in the mouth .. Knocked me down busted my lip.. Good stuff