1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whos gotten hurt while doing any type of taxidermy work ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by donkmstr, Apr 24, 2011.

1. cut with knife

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. cut with scalpel

56 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. hurt while lifting /moving large species

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. scrapes/bruises

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i once stuck my self with a scapulae that i jumped while i was starting to sit down on a stool and misted the stool and landed on the floor. :eek: but i didn't cry. mush. ;D oh. that's why i keep duck tape around. stops the bleeding quick. until you take it off.

2. thats another good one, porky quills, i get many every year, not bad a few, but alot in a small area really sucks, tried to pull 3 at once, no way in hell, i always pull them single. one thing this site helped me with is im not alone, were all human and have accidents

3. Brian

Brian Active Member

amen brother! one at a time was the trick. but it felt like i was at it for hours.lol. i hear ya on the two-threeat a time. NO WAY!!! i was scared i was gonna get some kind of damn infection. i poured alcohol and peroxide all over it and never had a problem. i was then reading up on porky quills and i found out something interesting you might know or want to know. at the end of each quill there is a natural antiseptic on it. natures neat huh?

4. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Only been at it for 6 months and a few cuts and sticks here and there but what scares the heck out of me is blood poisoning! Anybody had that stuff yet? I hear that is the Big One. Hopefully I never encounter that.

5. Cut with a scalpel too many times to count. Pheasant rooster hanging from a rope on the ceiling above my head fell and the spur left a scar just below my eyebrow. (Luckily it missed my eye!!!) Jabbed once or twice with a whitetail tine (back in the early days). Hand slipped while skinning a large python and got 'bit' pretty bad on the hand (THAT was a bloody mess!!!)

Most life-threatening hurt = Cirrhosis of the liver deemed most likely caused by chemicals and failure to use proper safety equipment for years.

6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Sliced my left thumb with a Havel, masking tape was the only thing I could find quickly to stop the flow. It healed nicely, still see the scar and when I push down it feels "tingly". Skin is cheap - it grows back.

7. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

cut with a scalpel. a deep cut, I was skinning a duck on a hanging gambrel and lost my grip. straight down into my foot it fell, I was wearing sandals like an idiot

8. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

I qualify for this post. All of the above and then some.
    Just last week I was shaving some hides and sliced the side of my thumb off ! Also about a year ago I shot myself with an electric stapler in the upper lip. Don't ask how, but it hurt like x!%!!!

9. alexm

alexm New Member

Blood poison so many times when I used to do lots of pike , sawing of deer horns with a hand saw jumped of the bone hit my thumb had to have all the tendons repaired stabs lots and cuts, then tendinitis and don't forget carpel tunnel working with hands all day can be tough !!!

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I said it before but they should redesign the #22 scalpel blade. I hold it like a pencil when thinning skins and I always have a cut on the top of my middle finger. Sometimes when I have a brand new blade on there I can cut it really bad and not even know it until I have blood all over my work.

11. gab

gab Active Member

lots of all that,but the worst has been infection from cuts and sticks,especially when working with skulls.had a skinner digging through a cooler stick a brow tine of an elk through her calf.

12. gasman1

gasman1 The Big One Almost Got Away

N.C
    what no one has a chemical burn,working on a bear hide last Monday tripped and spilled Clorox all over my right arm and hand now a big scab,hurts like hell.

13. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

LMFAO!

14. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I do the same thing.. Have a cut healing as I type on the top of my right middle finger.. and about 8 or 9 healed scars all running right next to each other in the same spot.. I hate them blades.. but they work good..

Took off part of my right thumb on the fleshing machine once.. I get real nervouse every time I fire it up now..

Had a Porky in the neighbors garage freezer..ONCE..few weeks later he went to take some meat out and forgot what was in the game bag.. he grabbed the game bag with the porky in it to move out of the way to reach some steaks, etc.... He had so many quills in his hand he had to walk over as he couldn't even dial the phone.. LMAO..

15. WFT

WFT New Member

I manged to cut myself every time I pick up my x-acto knife :eek:

16. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

My worse to date is I almost cut my left pointer finger off with a bone saw, it came really close to cutting the tendon. I received six stitches plus one on the inside to put my main artery back together. The blade was bean spanken new so that made it slice threw my skin even easier lol.

Rick (fozzy) quite winning!

17. bucksnort25

bucksnort25 New Member

I was cutting some foam on the back of a manakin that I had turned into a pedestal. Had the form cradled on my lap, with my left arm pushing down on the top of teh form. I was using a drywall saw to cut the foam when on a upward trust the foam broke away and I stabbed myself in the radial artery (wrist). let me tell you, hit and artery and it does shoot about 6 feet!! the best part is that I went to the ER and sat bleeding ofr two hours beofre I told the nurse at the front desk that I was going to go home and take care of it myself. her response " Well, all bleeding eventually stops" My response " One way or the other, yes it does".

18. revolutionMan

revolutionMan New Member

I had my feelings hurt when i posted pics of this guy.

Attached Files:

19. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

As Bob (redwolf) can tell you, me and fire dont get along. This wasnt the worst thing that happen to me but it was the scariest. I was boiling a skull on my crawfish burner and had my apron on and it went up in flames. I got it off just in time before I went up in flames too.

20. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Cookout at cypresslake taxidermy :D :D