1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whos gotten hurt while doing any type of taxidermy work ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by donkmstr, Apr 24, 2011.

1. cut with knife

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. cut with scalpel

56 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. hurt while lifting /moving large species

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. scrapes/bruises

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Ran a 9 guage all the way through my left palm while trying to get a leg rod into a peacock. Guy at the ER thought it was funny when I told him how I did it!

2. I've had all the usual cuts and punctures. But I have to tell this story. Twenty plus years ago I woked in a Taxidermy shop and my boss was using an old router to open up wood ferrules for a deer foot gun rack. He had the router upside down on the work bench (running) and was using it to open up the ferrule to fit the deer leg and guess what!? The router pulled the ferrule, along with his thumb into the bit!! I've never seen such a thing! Flesh, blood and bone all hanging on by tendons! ..... He did pay me to drive him to the emergency room!

3. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

I had my feelings hurt when Seiler told me to quit whining :'( :eek:

4. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

OUCH!

5. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

2 weeks before last opening day, i was cutting a SIKA buck skull cap to fit the form on my bandsaw. I have a blade on there with 1/4 " offset teeth... nasty as hell.

anyway, i made it through the skull cap a little too quick, and couldn't pull away fast enough... in goes my finger.

i got the stitches, almost cut tendons and nerves... doc said i probably nicked the bone a bit, but was lucky i wasnt over the top or under the bottom any extra than it was, otherwise i could have done some real damage...

came home, hand swelled up, put a rubber glove on, and mounted the head (i had it all ready to go and didnt want it to dry out, took me an extra 5 hours working with 1 hand, but it came out fine... lol went hunting opening day and shot a deer too LOL

its been almost a year, and it still hurts like hell if i bump it on stuff... theres still scar tissue inside that is insanely sensitive... getting better this past month, but i couldnt believe on how long i couldnt put pressure on it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. You must be in the Ozarks! (I could name two hospitals with the reputation of letting people bleed to death. One that died was a friend.) Geez...you are lucky you didn't bleed to death, with a severed artery!!!

JerseyJays, THAT looked nasty! Ouch! But at least the Sika looks great!

7. All of these stories and photos remind me of a story that says it all. I was at a local taxidermy shop cutting meat when I decided to take a quick break between animals. I walked into the taxidermy room of the shop and saw a guy prepping a tanned cape with a razor blade. All the sudden he jumped up frantically running all over. He grabbed a paper towel that he used to cover his cut. He turned a little pale and said I just cut my finger. He that busted through the show room into the boss's office where the boss was doing paper work and said I just cut my finger. The boss jumped up and said let me see. The guy removed the paper towel and showed the smallest most perfect cut you have ever seen. The boss said just throw some super glue on it. The guy was upset because he thought he should have been rushed to the ER I guess. The boss said " IF THAT LITTLE THING BUGS YOU THEN YOU ARE IN THE WRONG LINE OF WORK BUDDY"!!!!! Needless to say he isn't doing taxidermy any more. I gotta say after venturing into taxidermy more as a hobbyist than anything that it is part of the job that no one likes or is safe from!

8. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

Awe, it will be ok big guy lol. Your going to have your feelings hurt a lot the second week in June when this Ohio boy woops ya at fishing ;D

9. bucksnort25

bucksnort25 New Member

Vicki,

Believe it or not, It was the world famous Mayo Clinic!! I also got yelled at by the first nurse for coming in with blood on my hands and arms. Told me I should have washed my hands before I came in. I guess I was more worried about the bleeding. Luckily it was just a puncture wound so it stopped bleeding heavily with some pressure. I just put some butterfly bandages on it. It did ooze for about three days though.