1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Standing mount wings

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bashfam, Apr 24, 2011.

1. bashfam

bashfam New Member

What is the easiest way to make the wings look more natural when doing a standing mount ? Smaller wire, no wire ??? HELP :)

2. I don't usually wire the wings on standing mounts. I pin them in place most of the time, but if I do wire them , I use a small wire like a 18 GA.

3. Joshbritt

Joshbritt New Member

No wire and don't wrap the wings.

4. alexm

alexm New Member

Always wire standing or flying real light wire on standing by doing this you no every thing is in the right spot !!

5. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

I usually dont wire the wings on my standing mounts.Unless I'm working with a large bird.I use pins and caulk to make them stay put.Carving out a section in the form for the humerous to lay down in will help the wings lay in the side pockets better.

6. I am new and not good, having said that

I just did a standing mount. I did one wing wired, and pinned one wing pinned with the humorous shot off. The wing with the wire went together much faster. I had to alter the side side of the form with the humerous attached, and left the other side as is. When it was done the both looked the same. So really I guess it is which way you prefer.

7. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

I pin everything standing.

8. bashfam

bashfam New Member

Thanks for the help eveyone :)