1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I'm sure this is easy, but help with Fish ID

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by akairman, Apr 24, 2011.

1. akairman

akairman New Member

I'm no expert on sunfish, so i thought i'd ask for some help. i caught this monster a couple nights ago, and I'm thinking its a shell cracker maybe. its almost 15 inches long, and the biggest "bream" i've ever caught. it hit a 7 inch finesse worm while bass fishing one of my favorite lakes. what is it? thats a 1 liter water bottle by the way. oh, I can't wait to mold this thing!!! ;D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I believe it is a Redear Sunfish.

3. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

yep you got it duxdog

4. Yep, that's a red ear! And a BIG ONE!!! I want one!!! :mad:

5. Nice...Yup RES. We call em Shellcrackers here too...
    Must be a southern thing.
    Ron

6. Nice Redear. You going to mold it? 15" is a monster no matter where it is caught.

7. thats a georgia giant sunfish goggle it up and you will see they get to 5 lbs

8. GA giant is a green sunfish x bluegill hybrid.
    Note the lack of the red on the gill flap,yellow pecs and white trimmed fins. All absent on the original pic of Lepomis microlophus, Redear sunfish...also known as the shellcracker, Georgia bream, cherry gill, chinquapin, improved bream, rouge ear sunfish and sun perch.
    Pic courtesy http://bigbluegill.com/

[​IMG]

9. Eric E.

Eric E. Member

I have the Redears and Georgia Giants in my pond. That is a redear for sure (VERY NICE ONE!) or shellcracker if you like them by that name.

10. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    That is defiantly a Georgia giant,
    I have them stocked in my pond