1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking for help/suggestions with slipping on nose

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by outdoorsmn2009, Apr 25, 2011.

1. OK, I'm a fish guy who doesn't do many deer but was going to attempt one this morning. After thawing a wet-tanned cape this is what the nose looked like. Now trying to decide if I should mount it up & try to repair some how or try to find replacement cape. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated...

Attached Files:

• Deer.jpg
      Deer.jpg
      File size:
      125.1 KB
      Views:
  2. John L

John L Active Member

Is it hairless or holes? If it's holes sew and mount it up otherwise replace. There might be a chance depending on how they are on and what angle you could cut them out and sew back not sure.

3. It's the missing hair I'm concerned about. Everything is tight around the area, but too big to cut out & sew. Was hoping maybe someone had an idea how to make a convincing repair after, if I were to mount it the way it is???

4. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

I'm with John on this one, the slippage is in a High Vis area, it will certainly slip more during the mount process, Personally I would replace the cape. I have seen guys on here fix much worse than that. I would say if you haven't done a fix like that before then replace it. Good luck.

Scott

5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    That's pretty bad ... it needs to be replaced. It will take more work to patch this damage - not to mention ruining another cape to salvage this one - than is really needed. Since you've not mentioned anything about it having a special coloration or anything special with the hair, just replace the cape. Good luck to you.

John.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

X2

7. Well...After taking a break, calming down & re-evaluating what I had I decided to go ahead and mount it up. A scalpel, some super glue & cheating just a little bit with anatomy, it didn't come out too bad. Hopefully, most will be looking at the antlers anyway!

Attached Files:

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Not bad at all. Hair and color patterns are thrown off but being a fishhead I bet you could airbrush it to look natural.

You got lucky, most will not stop slipping and you being a talented Taxidermist who didn't just give up helps your situation quite a bit also :)

Congrats, nice job!

9. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Great save!! You are now a REAL taxidermist.

I always say winning in competition does not make you a great taxidermist.

Being able to fix up everyones SCREW-UPS....including your OWN is what makes you great!

10. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

Good Job like Mike said little airbrush should straighten it out

11. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

Well feed me fish and call me stinky.....Nice save. you don't need no stinkin help!

Scott.

12. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

You can name it 'Ole Crooked Nose'.... Good save

13. So So true!!!

14. I'd toss it----nice fix---Good Taxidermist---congrads-----------SB

15. Jer

Jer Member

Good fix...

FWIW, I've had that problem on some of my early skins and found that I wasn't getting enough meat off around the nose prior to salting. Its pretty thick there and the salt wasn't getting in and it would slip....Jer