1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounted in Alaska - You simply can't cure stupid

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Apr 25, 2011.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm venting, I'm pissed at some of you, and I feel badly for Russell Knight in eduring the bullchips he's heard on here.

I just got a call from John Janelli who'd just got off the phone with the producers of the show. They called to inform him that whether or not the show would be renewed for next season would be based entirely on the viewer ratings of this Thursdays show. They related that their decision was driven by "negativity from Internet sources'. John tells me that Russell is shocked at the reaction from members of his own industry and he's unsure of what direction he'd like this to go.

So for those of you so damned smug with yourselves in "speaking the truth" and "voicing your opinions", I know you'll respond to this in rationalizing why it's not "your fault". Several of us tried to warn you of the consequences to no avail. Yet regardless of how you cut it, this industry had ONE opportunity have a shining moment and we ate our young. Now we can go back to being "Billy Bob's Taxidermy, Bait & Tackle Beauty Parlor" again. That's more than many of you deserve.

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

There are only a few on here that don't like or care for the show. The majority of us like/love the show and WANT it to keep going.
    I'd hate to see the show stop all because of a few that had negative posts.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

So George,...........

**They called to inform him that whether or not the show would be renewed for next season would be based entirely on the viewer ratings of this Thursdays show**

So what's your point? So the ratings need to be up or the show is cancelled. How is that different than any network and show?

:)

Kerby...

4. I personally love the show. Like it really matters coming from a peon like me but I think it's good for the industry. Exposes more Joe Blows out there to not think we are a bunch of weirdos and freaks. Best one I heard was you're a taxidermist like Norman Bates! :-(

5. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

WOW!!! ................Imagine that.......someone in our industry being brash, outspoken, course, opinionated, smug and mean spirited right here on the internet .....any names come to mind George ??????????????

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I call BS on that..........

There aren't enough people on taxi.net to affect the ratings.

The few comments on this site has no reflection on the decision making process on whether to keep a show going or not. I mean really George.

If the producers are going to base their decision making process because of the comments on this site, then they need to be fired. Poor leadership at best.

I hope you really don't believe that crap that they (the producers) are the victims of the show's success or failures based soley on the comments from a few taxidermists on this site?

Too funny!

:)

Kerby...

7. I don't know about this one........TV lives and dies on ratings. I will have a bit of a problem believing this tiny ( and that is what it is) food fight on here will be the deciding factor in the ratings of a National TV show. I would be more inclined to believe the show just isn't drawing the national mainstream viewers it needs to survive. That is the group a TV show MUST have to survive and it needs to be in the millions not the thousands. Sorry....I ain't buyin' it.

8. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

Well I doubt the ratings are based on what is said on taxinet. This show follows one of the most popular shows in tv right now. Big shoes to fill. "Negative internet sources" could just as easily be animal rightists, who I am sure are outraged at the show, and certaily are better organized and have more money to wage a war against the show. I do feel bad that so much uproar has been created over this, but well, what do you expect when you expose your life to the masses on tv? Welcome to Hollywood. Honestly I have to say I have a hard time seeing the show making a second season anyway. Or maybe change it so it isn't just one shop featured, I dunno. But I just think it is a bit much to base a threat of cancellation on what it said on taxinet, when maybe the show just isn't that interesting to the general public.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Didn't you just roast a member here for making another "Mounted In Alaska" post??? LMAO

As far as John Janelli saying "They related that their decision was driven by "negativity from Internet sources'".........is this the same John Janelli that has blown bullchit up peoples asses all the time and stalks the Taxidermy.net but is too afraid to post on here.......or has orders from Head Quarters not to??? LOL

Sorry George, look at the complete and total thrashing and negative comments Jersey Shore gets on the internet.................you really see the running scared away from that show don't you.......I think Janelli got you AGAIN! :D

The thing that gets me the most and the whole scenario blows my mind is you have Taxidermist crawling out of the woodwork to speak pro or against a dramatized show but when their National Taxidermist Organization became what a few thought was "their baby" they sat back and watched it float down stream and tear into shreds.

If their was half the intrest in saving the NTA as there is in debating this show we could of really had something strong :-\ What a shame :)

10. Patrick J

Patrick J You've got me mistaken for someone else

Dang you guys all missed the point again. There is another world out there and it's called the environmentalists, animal welfare activist, animal rights activists, vegans etc. They make their mark on everything you do by silencing the oposition. They don't want shows like this on tv!! Problem is most of them live in some big city high rise and have never even dreamed of living in the country so have no understanding of how we live our lives. This isn't about who is the best taxidermist. It's about winning over the support from the public that has no idea what your way of life is like. THOSE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO SHUT YOU DOWN!! They are trying to end all hunting.
    I feel really bad for you guys that are full time taxidermists because, and don't take this the wrong way, you are at the bottom of the food chain. You are the last in the trickle down effects of hunting to benefit from it. You guys just have to open your eyes and realize your industry is under attack from the ground floor on up

11. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Get active. Contact them tell'em you like the show,and hope it continues.

[email protected]

12. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I've had so many people that are not related to taxidermy ask if I have seen the show. They go on to ask questions and explain to me all the things they see on there tht they never knew of or even thought of that goes on.

To me it is only a good thing for the industry.

13. Diamond D Taxidermy

Diamond D Taxidermy I HAVE to grow old...I DON'T have to grow up!

www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/news/article_1624246.php/Mounted-In-Alaska-taxidermy-sexed-up-for-reality-TV-on-History (read bold sentence at end of article)

www.tv.com/mounted-in-alaska/show/81085/reviews.html (no reviews)

www.imdb.com/title/tt1859193/usercomments?filter=prolific (no reviews)

tv.ign.com/objects/102/102510.html (no reviews)

www.newjerseyhunter.com/article101365.htm (several reviews)

getglue.com/tv_shows/mounted_in_alaska (several reviews)

14. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

This post is Fatally Flawed.

First off, what Michael said, then what Patrick said.

The poll says everyone liked it.

If ANYONE needs slapped over their comments it's RJ.

JJ using you to do his crying for him is BS.

Russell knew going in that his work would be critiqued, just the same as when you or I post a picture of our work.

George, I love you, but PLEASE get that hook out of your mouth.

The NTA has set themselves apart from this site. Yet still they are trying to dictate and rule via one of our strongest members? Not cool.

If this is an NTA sponsored event, I have but one question. Did the membership vote on this and give it's approval? Or is this the same old NTA telling everybody how it's gonna be?

Yes, I agree with you. Some here need to take the blinders off about what this show can do for us. But surely one weeks worth of getting the message out, can't really have that much effect on the overall ratings that the show should generate over the course of a whole season.

Spanking the children is one thing. Casting everyone out with the garbage is another. You know in your heart of hearts that JJ wants total domination over everything taxidermy.

IMO this whole thread needs to disappear quickly before it comes back to haunt us. I can just see it being used against us or in large against this site.

Enough of the negativity about the show. The show is Good for us. Keep it that way. Now everyone one of us needs to go post a positive comment on the reviews and show our support.

15. I love the show, and think they are a great bunch of guys.
    Ratings are one thing...Advertising revenue is another.
    Don't think for a minute that the Bunny Huggers aren't actively trying to persuade the folks who buy space. All the rating in the world and no $ still = no show.
    Our tiny corner of the net has nothing to do with the the success or failure of this show.
    On another note criticism is to be expected when you place yourself in the public eye. Doesn't matter if you are a pro athlete, actor, politician or a bunch of good 'ol boys doing taxidermy in Alaska. The unsilent majority will always take a critical view of what they watch for entertainment.
    Ron

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thank you Patrick.

I'm going to make only one post here and I'm not coming back to it. Some of you (R.J., remind you of anyone/) want to tie my honesty and arrogance to this issue. When someone comes on this site with a piece and asks for it to be critiqued, I try and give an honest, and sometimes not so flattering critique of how I perceive it. I have never come on here with a photo of someone's work or gone to a website and come on here to ridicule them. This is all done because we are "one" in what we do. Yet if one of YOUR customers came to MY SHOP and asked me what I thought of YOUR work, I've spent my life telling them "It doesn't matter what I think. Are YOU happy with his work. Well, each of us have our style of work and you have to decide which style you like best." I guess I just make myself deal with the fact that even a dog never spoils it's bed.

And I know there's a lot of theatrics involved in the issue. Surely we don't have enough taxidermists to ever make or break a show. The point is, however, we continue to be our own worst enemies. This industry has always been rife with jealousy and ignorance. I guess I was just being unrealistic to the ideal that perhaps one day we would grow beyond that and act like other professionals.

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Where is the Taxidermy.net bookie?!?! I got $20 that say he can't do it!

18. Diamond D Taxidermy

Diamond D Taxidermy I HAVE to grow old...I DON'T have to grow up!

I love the show. I pay no attention to the "time" progression on the show no more than I do with any CSI show, Andy Griffith show etc...TV is fast paced..they have to fit days into 20 minutes of tv, accounting for commercial breaks, etc...I could only dream of having as huge a work space, not to mention the super lighting and cleanliness portrayed...if it does NOTHING else, it portrays us all in a positive manner within the industry. It does show the world that there is an "art" to this job and patience is of virtue...I have had JUST THIS PAST WEEK TWO CUSTOMERS who wanted turkeys mounted who said they were just going to mount the tail fans but decided on a full mount after watching the show...So I have invested ZERO dollars in a show that has put a few bucks in my pocket already...plus, today, the local high school asked me to come to their career fair in May after seeing the show on TV...people ARE wathing and people Do like it..

19. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

I'll cover that bet! LOL

Seems like a good show. I just can't stay up that late.

20. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

George, your second post is spot on, and I totally agree with you on that. We do need to stop being our own worst enemies. I remember a couple of years ago when Dennis and gang was here at my shop. We had TV coverage, newspaper articles all over the country. It was a positive thing for taxidermist EVERYWHERE, but yet everyone wanted to focus on the negative aspects of me personally. I didn't get than then and I don't get that now. I just read on one of the review sites where someone stated that Russell's son has a substance abuse problem. WHAT? Now PLEASE tell me why THAT is what is talked about instead of the positive this show has brought to our industry. You are right on your claim that you just can't cure STUPID. Oh and if the RJ comment was at me, LOL Touche.