1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounted in Alaska - You simply can't cure stupid

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Apr 25, 2011.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

http://www.emissourian.com/news/top_stories/article_786a639b-81d6-5b45-8e57-dbc4e07342f4.html

Perfect example of how we are our own worst enemies and how we have to fight each other for survival. It truly is sad. But victory was gained against one of our own.

Copied from another post started by dixie.

2. aspenangler@hotmail.com

[email protected] B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

Patrick J is spot on with his comment. The "negativity from Internet sources" is coming from the environmentalists, animal welfare activist, animal rights activists, vegans etc. with the deep pockets and large followings. They don't want shows like this on tv, and they are trying to put an end to hunting all together.

3. gab

gab Active Member

using the same logic archery and hunting forums shouldn't dicuss bloodtrails,exit wounds and gut shots,so they don't offend some poor nonhunter.
    people go on forums to dicuss a topic that they are interested in.Any others enter at their own risk.

4. PA

PA Well-Known Member

As others have stated earlier, I doubt the Taxidermy.net comments actually have an impact with the "powers that be" who decide whether to renew the show. I did a straight Google Search and the very first post to show up from this site was post # 103, which means this site has 102 others who draw a larger audience or have been viewed more times than the post here. The actual page which won - http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=261292.msg1827140;topicseen
    with a smiling picture of someone who says "I'm really a nice guy and to show you,.."

I watched the first three episode "on demand" for the first time on Saturday night with a gentleman from England who is on his way to the World Show. It seemed a bit overdramatic, and was perhaps made that way on purpose, but the program illustrates an average commercial studio in the US doing work for average people. You could easily have a show with very low end taxidermists mounting specimens for the local trailer park inhabitants that might be more "Jersey-shorish", or have a show with carefully edited Mike Boyce quality Taxidermy which would be difficult for anybody visiting here to match up their quality to. Average is good, as the lower end people can brag about their taxidermist doing the job much lower priced than the show - and without them perceiving a quality difference. The high end clientele look at the quality, and presumably would know what is high-end taxidermy looks like because his associates would also have high-end pieces on the wall, can look down their noses at the work - even if theirs' isn't much better, but it at least cost twice as much.

I think the writers will have a hard time filling in an additional 15 episodes without a lot of repetition of themes unless they build up some sort of personnel conflicts between the shop workers. People interplay is what draws the audience to personal interest stories. Now if they want to show real hot-issue topics bring up the NTA...

5. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Of all the poeple on here George, you are the one I would never have expected to ask others to blow sunshine up someones ass. When you put yourself out there publicly you open yourself up to be critisized. I think it is an entertaining show. But, what appear they do on that show (time wise and customer wise)and the work they produce is going to be commented on by others, especially from this site. Yep, someone's got you hook, line and sinker.

6. Christie

Christie Instructor, Consultant & Speaker

I would agree. If anything, the drama on here will certainly help the ratings, as anyone who has read any of the posts won't dare miss this week's episode.

7. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

RIGHT! just like the old saying there is no such thing as bad publicity. Even all the anti's ranting over the show are watching and helping lift the ratings.

8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Unbelievable. We can rant about stupidity on TV all that we like EXCEPT when it is "detrimental" to our Industry.

We can criticize the President, Jersey Shore, Unions, House MD, Oprah, Animal Planet, CNN and Fox news, Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, Idol, Religions, Foriegn Countries.

BUT if we criticize some aspects of a show we actually KNOW something about it is the end of the world.

All i know is Lyndsay Lohan is getting a LOT of BAD PRESS these days...but she's still making millions a picture.

9. BS. They ought to put the show in an earlier time slot to get more viewers. Its the producers fault if the show fails. "Mounted in Alaska " is a great show but it is going to be difficult to compete with shows like "American Pickers" or "Pawn Stars" simply because more people can relate to them.

Maybe they ought to have a couple super models in bikinis stretching bear rugs to help with the ratings. Sex sells.

10. Ok I am confused....earlier we did not matter number wise but now all of a sudden we are important and can dictate the outcome of the show ! ;)

11. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Maybe theres some parts of the show that arent 100% true to the real way Russ runs his shop, but its written for TV, so thats OK.
    I like the show and hope it continues!

12. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

I'm not watching it anymore, it's just too darn controversial :'( ;D

13. Patrick J

Patrick J You've got me mistaken for someone else

Now can you imagine the ramifications of that case if Kantor had won? Environmentalists would be filing law suits weekly to put the vast majority of taxidermists out of business. The only reason that case was won is because taxidermists worked together in a time of need. Now if only the hunting community as well as the taxidermy community could understand the importance of having public relations and backing each other before these things even come up

14. The Story Lady

The Story Lady Fee Fi Faux Fum

If they had Charlie Sheen on there as a guest mounter they would have all the ratings they need. They really are not doing that bad. Then again they are new and different. That could wear out.

After The First 48 (A&E)
    - 1.426 million viewers
    - 0.9/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49Manhunters (A&E, 10pm)
    - 1.247 million viewers
    - 0.8/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49

Manhunters (A&E, 10:30pm)
    - 1.275 million viewers
    - 0.8/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49

Real Housewives of NYC (BRAVO, 10pm)
    - 1.856 million viewers
    - 1.4/2 HH
    - 0.9/3 A18-49

Archer (FX, 10pm, 31 minutes)
    - 1.213 million viewers
    - 0.8/1 HH
    - 0.6/2 A18-49

Swamp People (HIST, 9pm)
    - 3.776 million viewers
    - 2.2/4 HH
    - 1.4/4 A18-49

Mounted in Alaska (HIST, 10pm)
    - 2.010 million viewers
    - 1.3/2 HH
    - 0.7/2 A18-49

Mounted in Alaska (HIST, 10:30pm)
    - 1.693 million viewers
    - 1.1/2 HH
    - 0.7/2 A18-49

America’s Best Dance Crew (MTV, 10pm, 61 minutes)
    - 2.425 million viewers
    - 1.5/2 HH
    - 1.1/3 A18-49
    - 2.1/6 W18-34
    - 2.3/9 T12-17

15. Below are overnight daily finalized ratings for Cable TV on April 21, 2011. The Nielsen Company.

Real Housewives of NYC (BRAVO, 10pm)
    - 1.927 million viewers
    - 1.4/2 HH
    - 0.9/2 A18-49

Hogs Gone Wild (DISC, 10pm)
    - 1.035 million viewers
    - 0.6/1 HH
    - 0.4/1 A18-49

Archer (FX, 10pm, 32 minutes)
    - 1.006 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49

Swamp People (HIST, 9pm)
    - 3.747 million viewers
    - 2.3/4 HH
    - 1.4/4 A18-49

Mounted in Alaska (HIST, 10pm)
    - 1.786 million viewers
    - 1.1/2 HH
    - 0.7/2 A18-49

Mounted in Alaska (HIST, 10:30pm)
    - 1.473 million viewers
    - 0,9/2 HH
    - 0.6/2 A18-49

America’s Best Dance Crew (MTV, 10pm)
    - 2.074 million viewers
    - 1.3/2 HH
    - 0.9/2 A18-49
    - 1.6/5 W18-34
    - 1.8/7 T12-17

TNA: Impact (SPIKE, 9pm, 122 minutes)
    - 1.730 million viewers
    - 1.0/2 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49

Police Women of Broward County (TLC, 9pm)
    - 1.051 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.4/1 A18-49

NBA Playoffs (TNT, 8:09pm, 155 minutes)
    - 3.875 million viewers
    - 2.5/4 HH
    - 1.6/5 A18-49

NBA Playoffs (TNT, 10:44pm, 160 minutes)
    - 3.268 million viewers
    - 2.3/5 HH
    - 1.5/5 A18-49

Advertisers look at these numbers to determine market share and where to best spend there dollars. Do you still think the controversy here is going to affect the shows future ?

16. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    George Seriously!??

If this site had any power there wouldn't be any hunting shows left the way we rip on them, myself included. For Gods sake at least try and think before you post. If negative publicity mattered there would be no "Dancing with the stars". The most maligned, yet one of the most successful shows on TV!

And as far as Russel not "asking" to have his work "critiqued". What part of "NATIONAL TV SHOW" do YOU.........not understand! Did he not see those cameras!
    Remember the other show and the white cat! Did you not yourself rip that poor creature! Did that guy "ASK" for it!

Tell us where your dog is..cause you got one in this fight! That is the only thing that explains the hypocrisy! Bashing one show then bending over "foreward" to defend another! Bashing people for making negative sounding post titles..........THEN DOING THE SAME DAMB THING!!!!! READ YOUR OWN TITLE! Aren't you afraid that is going to be the first thing newcomers read ::) ::) ::)

Then again..maybe you know that ratings are ratings, no matter why some one watches, it is still ratings, and stirring up some controversy is THE BEST WAY, to get people to watch......Hmmmmm Maybe you aren't so dumb ;)

17. Gina

Gina New Member

I have to agree with George on this one. I dont know Mr. Knight, but I think how he does things is his own business. I learned a long time ago that no one is perfect, least of all me! Who am I to judge another on how he does things, or thinks? I really like the show. I love all things taxidermy. I love to watch the way other people do things because I can learn from it! And sometimes I roll my eyes and think "I would do that differently" But thats ME, not Mr. Knight or any one else on this forum. I respect others and how they do things. There are more than one way to skin a cat, and a taxidermist for that matter judging from what I have seen here.

If I were a stranger and came here (Producers of the show come to mind) And saw all the back biting, I would start to think about the competance of Mr. Knight and his abilities. But from where I stand as an individual, I think Mr. Knight has way better skills than I do, hes been doing it longer, and I think hes funny! He is turning out a professional product at a professional price. If I were a stranger and came here and saw what everyone said, I would not go with him. I would probably pre-judge him and go with someone else, as a result I would be robbing him of his hard earned income (all this back biting is causing just that with his show).

I am saddened and ashamed by the comments I have read here. We are all hard working individuals. I dont understand where all this animosity comes from. Is it jealousy, envy or arrogance? I dont know, but whatever it is, Mr. Knight deserves a HUGE apology, a really really big one. Just because some of us dont like how some things are done or look, does NOT make it ok to tear down one of our own. I wish i could call the Produceres and tell them personally from the heart how much I love the show. If I had cable i would watch it like an avid fan, but since I dont have cable I check the website every day to catch the latest episodes.

I think someone here hit the nail on the head here earlier in the week: Mr Knight NEVER once has he said anything bad about any other taxidermist. I dont know what name he uses under this forum, but I dont remember him putting his episodes out on the "Please Critique" board either. Often we hear the negative way more than the positive. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, if his show is cancelled, all of you who have cut him down can pat yourselves on the back for a job well done.

All I can say in the end, Im sorry for all the pain Mr. Knight has endured, and I want to extend my congratulation to him for having the COURAGE to open his doors to the world and risk a backlash of a few malcontents.

18. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

Uhhhh, the producers look at one thing, 1.5 million people are watching this show.

I don't know if that's a lot or if the advertisers are happy, but I do know that 50 or 100 peeps bitchin' or cheerin' on this site make ZERO difference whether they keep broadcasting.

Those that think it does need to check the ego / self importance at the door..........

19. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Gina, I would agree with you if you had included the "other" show as well which was TRULLY ripped, even by those now defending this one! These same people even "WANTED" it gone! HMMMMM! It simply was not that bad. Just like Mounted in Alaska, some of the work was poor, it was a little over dramatized, and edited to look quick! Perhaps you can explain why these bashers of one defend the other! Also I have reread most every post I can find on this and there is NO one ripping Russel Knight. All the rips were about ONE employee and the EDITING done to make things look unrealistically quick and easy! The show was liked by 100% of the people on here. That's more people than like me...........in my own house :) :)

20. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I like Mounted in Alaska. It's about Taxidermy. I like anything having to do with Taxidermy. After the first show I emailed Mr. Knight to tell him so. I did not expect a reply, just simply thanked him for putting us on the radar and to tell him what a nice job they did. A couple of days later I got the following response:

Dear Joe
    Thank you , that was my main concern as I began this project, and I am so happy everyone likes it. I worked very hard to relate to the production crew just how important conveying that through to the audience , how it really was in my shop. Thank you for writing me and please do anytime !
    Thanks again
    Russell Knight

If you really like the show I think you should let Mr. Knight know that. Joe