1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ok I give up I need help! Euro de-greasing???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by R.P.M., Apr 25, 2011.

1. R.P.M.

R.P.M. New Member

Ohio
    Any help will be appreciated... Did a euro from a 400# Russian boar
    Can't seem to get all the grease out.I used the simmer method like I've done for
    many deer bear beaver etc. I know I should of used beetles or macerate but usually I don't have this prob.
    Anyhow I soaked this sucker in 100% lacquer thinner for 2 1/2 -3 wks. rinsed, still greasy.Soaked in dawn for several days...no luck
    Finally ordered 2 quarts of super solvent, I've soaked it at least 3 times in that (fresh water each time) and even increased the recommended amount
    each time.I still have grease in the lower jaw and top of the head area.The last time I even drilled 1/8 holes in the thick bone to get more ss in there.
    I'm just not happy with it,I must not be using the super solvent correctly or something. Any suggestions????
    Thanks in advance,
    R.P.M.

2. marking. i got the same thing happening

3. Bugs are not any better than simmer. but simmer may be to hot.

MIx up a strong ammonia and water mix and heat to 150 for a couple hours, did you remove the teeth and clean the tissue out inthe upper and lower jaw?

My bet is you can skim off a couple full cups of grease doing it as I said!.

4. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    dawn and water for a couple months at 120 degrees and it will come clean ,change water as needed,no different than any other skulls just a little more stubborn

5. R.P.M.

R.P.M. New Member

Ohio
    John,thanks for the reply,I'll try that and yes I removed the teeth,amazing how long they are in the lower jaw.
    How much ammonia is a strong mix?
    Thanks!

Jason.thanks the guy I'm doing the skull for wants it asap and yes I'd say it's alot more stubborn !!

6. three cups to enough water to cover the skull. I cleaned a 400lb plus last year and had to het it twice with the ammonia/water to degrese it. took about 3 days each time. but clean the lower jaw with a wire and slow slow drill.

7. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

I've got a boar that's been degreasing for at least 1 1/2 months now. This was my first one also. Like most people, I didn't realize how long they take. It may help for you to build a degreasing tank out of a 5 gallon bucket. That's what I did. I keep it at 125 degrees 24/7 in a dawn and ammonia solution. Change water every now and then. I removed the bottom jaw tonight and I think it may finally be finished. I am going to let the skull proper degrease for a couple more weeks and then let it dry and see what happens.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Sometimes you can do everything that is recommended here, and still have a greasy skull. A 400# boar is nothing but a living greaseball. I macerate all greasy skulls. Maceration seems to "digest" a lot of the fat in skulls. This makes de-greasing much more successful.

9. Dead River Skull Co.

Dead River Skull Co. New Member

How do you keep your water wat 125 degrees?

10. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Dead River, check out the skulls section, search for degreasing tanks. Lots of information there. But your basically using a heating element and a thermostat to keep the water at a constant temperature.

11. Drill extra holes on the inside of the bottom jaw, and drill the tendon holes bigger on the outside, then drill the back of the skull. Simmer for a few hours and blow out the bottom jaw and skull through the holes with a compressure.You'll be serprised how much crap will be blown out. The top of the skull has a cavity between the top of the skull, and brain cavity that holds alot of stuff. Good luck.
    Jim