1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ozzy49938, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Got a trip planned to South Africa and looking for some advise. Anyone know if when a hide is salted to be shipped are the ears,lips,nose,eyes all split and turned or not. Also is it a good idea to send the capes right to a tanner instead of my place to save a few bucks or do these capes need some work before being sent off to the tanner and last anyone have a tanner they would suggest. Thanks for the help
    Ozzy

2. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

1. Ears are usually turned, but everything else you mentioned, usually isnt. 2. Straight to the Tannery 3. You cant work on them, cause they are dry salted, very hard. 4. Cant help ya.

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

You're going to be the one that's there, supervise the preparation of all your trophies! At least to the extent that you know that they are being properly taken care of. I was there a couple years ago and my outfitter's staff was top notch. His skinners had been to a school and knew exactly how to do things the way I wanted them done. I didn't find a SINGLE extra hole in ANY of my skins or capes. It's up to you to ask the questions of your outfitter and find out if his skinning staff knows what they're doing.

My outfitter did his own dipping and packing and I had my trophies back within 90 days of my leaving South Africa. Contact your tanner and find out if they would like them shipped in directly and who they would recommend to clear them through customs. The time to find this all out is NOW, before you go. If you don't have a regular tanner then I would recommend Wildlife Gallery or Carolina Fur.

4. I agree with Old Fart. The crapshoot comes when you don't do your homework on outfitters. There are some good ones and some not so good. The thing to do is find out from references. Call around to some of your taxi friends that are doing African on a regular basis. Call your tanner and find out firsthand who is doing a great job splitting everything and who isn't. They know from the shipping tags.

For customs clearance, you won't be able to have them shipped to you if you are not cleared by your USDA vet. But we all know some guys get them in by "accident". The process is expensive and you will probably find it easier to have your chosen tanner bring them in for you.