1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A tale of two taxidermy shows (the hipocrisy test)

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ron B, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Recently there was two taxidermy shows. One was liked by all,..... worshiped by a few, who believe it to be the second coming! Freeing Taxidermist around the world from bondage and oppression! The other was hated! Said to be the....... "spawn of satan" by these same worshippers! And would surly bring on the "Antichrist"!

Now here is the test. I shall now describe ONE of these shows and you must RIP it.......or PRAISE it! But here is the catch; I will not tell you which show I am discribing until you state your opinion! Here goes.

The one show was about taxidermy and showed taxidermist in their daily struggles of doing taxidermy,: Fighting forms and hides that wont fit, dealing with customers etc.

Taxidermist all seemed like cool guys!

It showed said taxidermists mounting a mediocre to fair African lion!

It also showed another feline mount that sucked like an Oreck Vac!

It showed some very nice and intersting mounts also.

It showed rather scripted, slightly over dramatized but humorus banter between taxidermist. It even had a female taxidermist who questioned the doing of certain type mounts!

It showed VERY SPECIAL clients who must be pleased at all cost making unrealistic demands, and some fast and lose editing portraying impossible turn around times!

It showed an "eccentric looking" client with a "funny hat and hair" that wanted the "ass end" of an animal mounted!

And finally it showed a happy ending where client and taxidermist hug and praise each other , the taxidermist is a great hero and all live happily ever after!

Now remember.....One show Good..One show bad! Which show did I just describe!? I know I know they were so similiar! ;) Almost.......... as if scripted by the same person......HMMMM! ;) But one was loved, the other hated! Now explain your opinions!

2. When was there a show about taxidermy on TV??? :) I never saw much difference between the two shows. I like both but see things I also do not like in both. I think you are describing "M in A" though because I don't think the guy getting the backside mounted in the other was wearing a hat. Could be wrong about that though, but like I said, I thought they were both fairly similar.

3. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

I liked the "other" show as well ;)

4. Ron B

Alabama
    Spoken like a true politician!

5. timberlandtaxidermy

Ya got me! Kind of, I guess, I don't recall......

6. Ron B

Alabama
    Depends on the meaning of is!!!!!!

7. timberlandtaxidermy

Okay, now I like the "other" show ???

8. Ron B

Alabama
    You mean........You liked it BEFORE you were against it?

9. timberlandtaxidermy

Caught me again!!
    Can we get on an interview with Oprah?:)
    The ratings just might surpass, "Mounted In Alaska" :eek:

10. wildwings

wildwings New Member

However the one show didn't say they would have a shoulder mount of a deer head done in one day and picked up the next. In that same show they showed a LS bear and LS wolverine gettings dropped off one day and 3 days later being dropped off completed ! That was the biggest issue I had with the one show. Do you realize how many people will bring in and drop off a animal thinking it is simple injected with some magic fluid and it then is mounted. When I tell them there mount will be done in 6 months to a year they about crap themselves. Anyhow this is why I like one over the other. None the less if both were still on I would still watch both.

11. I haven't seen anyone mention this yet. Has anyone noticed when the customers show up the skins are already tanned! This would be great if everyone showed up with the skins already tanned, and by that I mean properly tanned. Then I could just mount them up. No fleshing, tanning, prep work. I could turn some stuff out quickly also!! I find both shows interesting. The chick in Mounted in Alaska is hot!!!! Anyway, let's see some raw skin work!!

12. OK, I have bit my tounge until now. I haved watched both programs and find them the same. I see NO difference in the two shows. It is a show and showing things in short order is the norm in tv land. Do you really think the shows like CSI and Law order solve cases in 1-2 days like they show? No it is made for tv.
    Do we do mounts in 4 days? Not normaly but I have taking in Birds and deer and had them out the door in 5-7 days. I have mounted a life size bear on Monday and customer picked it up on Sat.Base work and all. I am full time and like to make money.
    Do we do mounts for competitions and mount them 2 days before the show? NO as the judge would eat it up. But they showed this on one of the shows. DO we stand with the judge when they judge ? NO and are we happy when we get a 68 or a 72, Heck no.
    IF a customer of mine wanted me to enter a mount he would pay double the cost and only if it was a perfect speciman would I do it. I would not be happy with giving a customer a 3rd place ribbon.
    I am happy with both shows as it does show OUR industry as a bussiness and opens our doors to a ton of non hunters so they understand the art we do.
    I really hope the other show on Discovery channel turns into a series as well.
    Lets be happy they are showing some fine studios and not the backwards redneck shops we all have around us. They could have made us all look like pure renecks but they are not.
    I would gladly do some acting for one of these shows as "Thats right you get PAID"

Gregg Ielfield
    Tri-Ponds Taxidermy studio

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I wish I could articulate my feelings as well as you just did.....that perfectly said :)

14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I liked both shows. On an average day, any viewer would be bored to death in my little shop!

15. I watched the first Discovery show, and due to the content....taxidermy.....I liked the show. I made a comment on Facebook about the first show, and it was a comment in regards to the guy bringing in the Grizzly, and telling the guy he needed it done in 3 days.....with the wolverine. Unrealistic....but, It would have never stopped me from watching more of the shows, had it been a series. Mounted in Alaska is an Awesome show in my book......once again, what 's not to like about a taxidermy show? I have not participated in any of the negative pages dealing with this show, or added any negative comments about the show, as I truly hope it survives for another round.....there is some total GARBAGE on TV, this is much better than most shows on television. We as a group should spread the word as much as possible, and try to get non taxidermist people to watch the show every chance possible. I'm sure Russell and his crew are all good, down to earth people, just as 99% of the taxidermists that you meet at State shows, World Shows, and National shows. We should want nothing more than the "Show to go on" for Russell and his gang !