1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yellow page ads

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by NancyJ, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Looking for some feed back on advertising in a local phone book. Is it worth the $600.00. So many people search with their computers and fancy cell phones. Are these famous yellow page ads becoming a thing of the past? We have been advertising in them for over 15 years, but I am thinkiing of not doing it this year. What do you think?

NancyJ

2. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

I advertise in the yellow pages and it cost $14.00 a month! Yes, I get a lot of business from the yellow pages.

3. It was around $250 for my small add.

I put an add on yellowpages.com,,,, or is it yp.com? Anyhoo, it's free to put an add online in that site. I will warn you, you will get 3 or more calls from them trying to sell you an upgrade add. Just tell them not interested.

Doug

4. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

I've got a standard one line add in a couple books along with my web address listed. costs $37 a month. I think within two years I'm going to can it.

5. wildwings

wildwings New Member

I advertised 1 year it cost me $250 for a 2" x 1" ad then I got smart ! I realized that by just having a business phone line I got a text style listing anyhow for free. Then when I realized I was paying alot extra for a business line I changed to a residential phone line. This move saved me another $45 per month. However some reason for the past 6 years I still have a listing in the yellow pages. Any more I am getting more and more people finding me by checking the internet. Lets face it customers normally want to see 2 things. Your work and Your Prices ! Having a website is more important to me then having a ad in the yellow pages. Just my 2 cents thou.

P.s. I do work out of my home.

6. nate

nate Active Member

Personally, I think yellow page ads are a joke! I dont think I've one call from them. They suckered me into getting the combo deal with an ad and a website. I am sooo not happy with the website. The pics are blurry, there were that way when I sent them, you cant enlarge them by clicking on them. To get anything changed is like pulling teeth, because noone understands what you want! Cant wait till my contract is up so I get a real website done professionally. And spend the rest of that money on another form of advertising! No saying they're bad for everyone, they're just not good for me. If you're thinking of getting some sort of combo pack, be sure to research it first.

7. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Those combo deals are a scam. Also watch for those sneaky contracts that some of the "books" send out. In my opinion people are going to dial down the list no matter how big your phone book ad is. So why pay for a big ad? The price checkers check everyone :) The guys with the biggest yellow page ads are you usually the new guys and fail within a year. Those ads aren't cheap. An investment in a PROFESSIONAL website is money well spent.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I pay for a business line, which is $59.95/mo. This is 100% tax deductible. A yellow page listing comes with this service. Once upon a time I was paying extra for a 1 X 3 ad. I don't think it was worth the additional expense. I think yellow page listings are a necessary evil. I have several calls per month from At&T and other companies wanting to "manage" my website for maximum performance. I can hardly keep up with what business I have....I don't need people from coast to coast worrying me about my work and pricing.

9. I think it helped me.

10. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

I still get number of calls out of the yellow pages . I for one do have a larger ad on the page. It is on a yellow page and I have Yellow print in my ad. I had them reverse the print so rather then a Black Print on YELLOW I have a Black ad on Yellow . My ad is ALL Black the whole 2 by 3 inch or what ever it is with Yellow Print inside the black box . This way it really Jumps out on the page. Rather then a bunch of black wording on yellow like the rest of the page.

. So is this as clear as Mud... LOL

This ad has run in the yellow pages like this since about 1978 Full time. I just changed the black and yellow around about 3 years ago. I saw how a Sign guy did it that makes Signs for a living had his this way . I thought heck that’s a good idea,

I have this and the Website and get lots off the website as well. My 15 year old son did the website for me . It turned out pretty good if you ask me for his first one… I still have more pictures to add and update but it will always be that way . Adding and changing.

www.edgewatertaxidermy.com

but I do agree that more and more people are looking on line for a taxidermist and some with the Fancy phones but not Everyone has the internet and or a fancy phone. I am sure I will run this way for another 5 years I would guess or until when I ask how they found me and the only say on line I might dump it then .

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have had one for a few years, and it did produce some work for me, but I cancelled it this year. I just have the free listing now. Between word of mouth and my website, there is plenty of work.

12. gab

gab Active Member

people that are too sleazy to sell used cars sell yellow page ads.they haven't got a clue that they are obsolete,they are still as obnoxious as ever.I cancelld all my yellow page ads this year.

14. Thanks everyone for all the input. We have 3 phone book companies all wanting some of my hard earned money. I think I am going to opt out of the yellow pages and put more into the website.
    NancyJ

15. I have heard that next year I will have to sign up if I want to receive a new phone book. I think they are starting to realize how little people use a phone book now.

16. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You'd be surprised how much of rural America still depends on the Yellow Pages. Thousands of grandparents have work done for their grandkids. They know NOTHING about computers....but they have money and are willing to spend it on grandkids fish, deer, etc. I am not ready to dump my Yellow Page listing with AT&T just yet. As for the "other" books...YellowBook, RedBook, etc, my business is listed free in these publications because it is picked up off the AT&T Yellow Page listings. As I stated earlier...Yellow Page listings are a necessary evil for me.

17. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Good points

18. ChoppTax

ChoppTax New Member

Tons of PRICE shoppers. You get your work by word of mouth

19. fairdinks

fairdinks New Member

I think uglii.com is the way to go .It will be massive soon.

20. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Just be sure and check.....In my area they are going to STOP printing phone books!! I got the word a few months ago. Don't sign up for something that isn't going to happen.