1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mounted in alaska

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by have dogs will travel, Apr 28, 2011.

1. have dogs will travel

have dogs will travel New Member

received e mail from russell...every one needs to watch tonight as it is rating night and will determine if there is a next season.

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Everyone needs to support this television show! Regardless of the editing which makes things look out of context, what a mount looks like, who says what, who does what ... that's not the important stuff.

The important thing is to just watch the show and support what is being accomplished.

A positive show on television that portrays what myself and so many others love ... the field of Taxidermy.

I repeat ...
    A positive show on television that portrays what myself and so many others love ... the field of Taxidermy.

Those who say "I can say what I want" and then think it will not adversely affect the show ... you are delusional.

THINK!

If they see a lack of support HERE, from a bunch of supposed taxidermists constantly poking fun at it, then what does that make them think the public in general thinks about the show?

A Taxidermy forum is the best barometer for the producers of this show to get a feel for its acceptance or not.

Personally ... I think there is a lot of jealousy here by many who are just pissy that they are not the one chosen for a program, when the truth is we ALL had an equal shot to have this happen. Many of us were contacted, and many of us turned it down for whatever reason, but many more just hate to see someone other than a local hero get a big break like this.

So then the comments begin ... "I saw this", "I saw that", "this is unrealistic", "that is unrealistic", "the time frame is false" ... "blah blah blah" ... Do you really think this goes unnoticed? Again ...
    THINK!

That is not the same as critiques of the work featured, no matter how boast-full or modest the Taxidermist doing the work. This is to be expected ... the work is being showcased, and that in and of itself opens it up to critiques.

But the petty nit-picking ... and the AMOUNT OF IT! THAT WILL HURT THE SHOW, and lessen the chances of a renewal! Is that really what anyone here wants to see ... no more show? Because that is what can happen!

I too have received e-mails and phone calls from those involved thanking me for being supportive. For a while, I hadn't made any posts about it. Like I said elsewhere, it's like pissing into the wind ... I know it's getting out there, but it was getting thrown back in my face. Yuck!

But now ... it is time. Time to speak up again in support of "Mounted In Alaska". Watch the show, enjoy the show, support the show, and above all, respect the show and all those who put it on the air every week. If there is a little more of that, it may be around for a second season ... and maybe more, and wouldn't that be grand!

John.

3. gab

gab Active Member

how do they track ratings?i thought you had to be a nielsen home to be counted.

4. LordRusty

Ohio
    Not anymore! Since the internet, and forums like this and others, they have new methods. These are the new 'pulse of America'. Even television news organizations keep track of things via the internet ... "i-reporters" and whatnot. "The Brave New World" remember? ;)

John.

5. wildwings

wildwings New Member

Does setting DVR's count as extras ? ;D

6. gab

gab Active Member

thats what i figured.I like the show and will tune in.
    Still respectfully disagree with the idea that we have to censor our opinions and what we dicuss on OUR forum,because people who aren't taxidermist may wander on here.

7. Fred Barilla

Fred Barilla Member

I will be watching. I think it is a great show, and an even better group of people that have been chosen to represent our industry (Mr. Knight and staff) .

...Great post John.

-Fred Barilla

8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I like the show and will be watching it.

However, I am getting tired of this BS.

American Choppers gets derided about their bike building skills CONSTANTLY on the Net. They are millionaires and the show has ran NINE YEARS. READ some of THAT stuff and see that Russ has had it EASY!

The ONLY thing that can kill MIA is if people don't have an interest in taxidermy enough to keep watching.

It needs to appeal to EVERYMAN. If all that watches are taxidermists and outdoorsmen it is doomed.

9. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Let's get Real here, like in REALITY TV..........

No matter how you slice it, this is REALITY TV. They want to make the show interesting, otherwise it would be boring to watch. It is SCRIPTED in order to get there. THEY WANT CONTROVERSY to increase their viewer numbers. THEY WANT PEOPLE TO TALK ABOUT IT, good or bad.

If you really think that the comments on this site has a NEGATIVE effect on the show, then you need to wake up. EVERY REALITY SHOW has websites where they talk about the good and the bad of that show. It INCREASES the viewers. The more controversy the BETTER....THAT IS A FACT with reality TV shows.

And like I have stated before, I like the show. But remember it is not a documentary on taxidermy....it is a REALITY TAXIDERMY SHOW!

So why do YOU watch the show?

Wake Up America!

:)

Kerby...

10. LordRusty

Ohio
    You've missed my point. "People" are not those that wander in .... the producers, directors, and others who report to the higher ups are those who 'wander in' here to read what is said.

The show is trying to appeal to 'those' "people" ... and if those things include editing that involves some shuffling around of the jobs that have been shown completed, or any other edits regarding time constraints ... that is done to keep the show moving, to keep it interesting to "the masses".

But for those here, who should know better, is it really necessary to make these things issues? No it is not. As far as other shows ... I can barely stand "American Choppers" anymore, and that has been coming for years, so I don't give a rat's ass for that particular show. Since the death of Captain Phil Harris, the shine has worn off Deadliest Catch for me as well. Mounted In Alaska is a show that strikes nearer to home than any show ever has. It is a show that shows what I love most being done - finally done - on a television show ... so yeah, I feel protective of it.

They do what they do, and show what they show - in the way that they do - for one reason ... to entertain. Not to show Taxidermists what a mishmash a shop can be made to look. It is made to look interesting to John Q. Public, and that is what seems to be getting so many panties in a knot.

Untie the knot, kick off your shoes, sit back and enjoy the show. ;)

John.

11. You know, everyone that has made a so called negative comment about the show has done so because THEY WATCHED IT! If they make the same comment about the next week's episode they WATCHED IT. I haven't seen anyone say they don't like the show and will not watch it again. If someone gives negative feed back every week for the next 20 years they can only do so because THEY WATCH THE DANG SHOW. Following what I'm saying yet? All the producers care about is that people keep WATCHING.

Plus, if the producers are placing so much emphasis on this forum for determining if another episode or season is worth producing they would have a dozen more camera crews in Alaska. At the top of the page click on "Show unread post since last visit", and see what comes up. There is almost always at least 3 or 4 threads about "Mounted in Alaska" on the first page alone. Sometimes it seems like 50% of the threads are all about the show.

12. I happen to like the show alot and will be watching it tonight and in the future. I hope it's successful and has many more seasons. If you like taxidermy I don't see how you can dislike this show. Just my two cents....

13. RTF

RTF Active Member

I LIKE IT I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!

I LIKE IT I LIKE IT A LOT!!!!

14. Jer

Jer Member

I like the show...Sure there are inaccuracies potrayed in the content but this show wasn't meant to target the taxidermy clan, that is too small of a market. This show needs to target every day Joe. To do that it has to be interesting and provide a level detail to keep the viewers curious and tuning in. Its supposed to be entertaining not a seminar in Taxidermy. Overall, given its pluses and minuses I think it shows the taxidermy industry in a positive light...Hopefully it doesn't become the soap opera that OCC has become.

15. I will have both of my TV's turned on to MIA if that will help.

Bruce

16. RTF

RTF Active Member

That just gave me an idea ! Running off to Walmart !!!! How many TV's do they have on display? About 50 ?

17. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Don't forget Sams Club!

18. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Not sure if it does any good, but I "upsold" two viewers that came in today. History channel at (8:00 here) they both watched the show last week and loved it. It may be one of those things that takes a little bit to catch on, who knows??

19. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Its Thursday, is it on yet? ;D

20. Tom Cruickshank

Tom Cruickshank The History Channel says I'm "creepy"!!

4 hrs & 43 minutes..... ;D