1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help!!! Skull troubles....

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by TaylorsTaxidermy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. i have a skull that a customer brought in to me after a year or so of sitting outside...it's a whitetail skull, and i think he said that he hung it in a tree and let the critters eat on it....well, they did a pretty good job however, i used peroxide to bleach and it seems like it didn't even whiten it at all....any suggestions on how i can whiten this thing???

2. passthebuck

passthebuck New Member

MA
    White spray paint LOL

3. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 New Member

Try also degreasing it by soaking in a solvent. A lot of times discoloration is from rancid fats and oils in and on the bone.

4. htc

htc New Member

Both great suggestions, after degreasing the rancid fat like redwolf said I have slightly heated up my peroxide and it seems to get in the pores better. If that doesnt work like pass the buck said airbrush time. Good luck on the skull

5. Taxidermy Nutt

Taxidermy Nutt yup, i can b cray-Z!

after degreasing it soak it in water for 12 hours or so when it is good and thoroughly soaked the put it in peroxide or type of whitener. the whitener needs to soak into the skull not just on the outer side? hope this helps.

6. wacbravo

wacbravo TEAM WAC

Taxidermy Nutt, what is your reasoning for soaking the skull in water prior to soaking in peroxide? I have never heard of this...

7. HWF

HWF Member

IOWA
    I got one like that and soaked it in oxy clean. It will lighten the antlers so be careful. Then peroxided it and put under a heat light for a week. Came out alot whiter.
    Hunter

8. wacbravo

wacbravo TEAM WAC

oxy clean? How did that affect the bone?