1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whitetail doe problem

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Sashakittythegreat, May 1, 2011.

1. Sashakittythegreat

Sashakittythegreat Beginner Taxidermist(2 mounts down)

I have this tanned summer haired doe cape(rehydrated in pics but they were there before) and she has this weird thing going on on the back of one of her ears, and some bald spots behind one of her eyes(both are pictures below) How do I fix or cover this up? she has a really nice cape otherwise.

Eye:
    [​IMG]
    Ear:
    [​IMG]

Thank you for reading,
    Julia

2. Dean

Dean New Member

Pretty normal rubbed spots on summer deer. It doesn't take much to scrape a little hair off. My deer do it all the time. The bad spot behind the ear can be either left alone or cut out and sewn closed. Either way you may see it. Depending on the exact location of the scar when it's mounted and your skills at sewing will determining the finished result. It looks like a pretty easy fix. I've learned from working on African game that it looks worse by trying to hide big wounds and scars. Go with the flow and make it what it is. When doing the finish work rebuild it as a scabbed up scar. Do it convincingly or it will look as bad as a poor repair. I've had scarrs on mounts at the major competitions and the judges never noticed them or questioned them. If done right an obvious scar can actually be done to look natural enough and not to be noticed. The rubbed spot by the eye with epidermis loss can be airbrushed and blended o look natural. Don't try to make it look like hair by air brushing it trying to match the exact hair color. It's a small rubbed spot make it looked like a natural small surface scrape.

3. Sashakittythegreat

Sashakittythegreat Beginner Taxidermist(2 mounts down)

thanks dean I will do that

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

Ditto on what Dean said, well put.